Show and tell is a way for you to share your material to our members of the AWGB and be part of a bit of friendly competition. We will set a project, style, or theme for you to produce each month. The winner will receive a £50 voucher (not redeemable for cash) for one of our corporate suppliers which will vary month by month. There are a number of elements that will be judged to find the winner by a panel of AWGB volunteers and the corporate supplier. Please see the judging criteria below.
Email submissions should be to email@example.com
Postal submission should be sent to our secretary at;
AWGB Show and Tell
Baldungan Derby Lane
By sending us a submission, you agree for the AWGB to reproduce your photo and prose and edit it as we deem appropriate. This may be for another purpose later down the line where full credit will be given. Winners and runners up will be published in revolutions as well as on our website and social media pages each month. You are welcome to send in your social media or website links and we will publish them alongside the winning entries.
Submissions for a particular month’s competition will need to be sent before the end of that month for both postal and electronic submission.
A show and tell that is announced in mid-October for November, will have a closing date of the 30th November, with the winner being announced in December. December’s show and tell will be announced in mid-November, with the winner being announced in January – etc. There will be three months’ worth of competition in revolutions as well as on the show and tell page on the website.
For postal submissions, we will get in touch with you by phone to let you know if you have won and how to claim the voucher shortly after.
Rules for entry
- Three photos showing different views must be sent in and must be sufficiently well lit and of a high enough resolution for us to judge – Please send ‘original’ quality photographs and do not reduce the image resolution. However, please do not send files such as ‘RAW’ or similarly large files unless absolutely necessary.
- There is only one entry per member, per month.
- Please label your photos with the entry year and month, as well as your name eg – 202011JaneSmith_Colouredbowl1; 202011JaneSmith_Colouredbowl2. This will be incredibly helpful in the judging panel.
- The photos must have some written material to support the entry, the following list is not exhaustive, but may be a good starting point to start writing
- How did you decide to tackle the project
- What wood did you use?
- How did you finish it?
- What challenges did you overcome?
- Please send the written material in alongside the photos in a word document.
- All entrants give their consent for the AWGB to publish any material supplied in any printed or electronic medium they choose.
- The material must be your own work.
- You must provide your full name, membership number, telephone number and email address if you have one.
- Please do not include photographs of people with your entry and particularly not photographs of anyone under 18 years of age.
- Officers and trustees of the AWGB can enter the competition but are not eligible to win a voucher.
- The AWGBs decision is final.
Criteria for judging the work
We would like to encourage all members of all skill levels to take part and enter. Photos, no matter how delightful, will not win the competition by themselves. This is a show AND tell competition.
The general criteria for judging will be as follows;
- Interpretation of the month’s set subject / theme
- Quality of turning
- Stylistic elements and appropriate use of them.
- Creativity in making the final piece
- Details of supporting written material
- Other non-tangible elements will have a part to play – humour, creative use of photography etc
We will not be judging on elements such as spelling or grammar so please do not be dissuaded by these factors. We aren’t expecting professional standard photography but we do need to be able to clearly see what we are judging.
The panel will meet and deliberate after the month’s competition has closed. If you have not heard from us by the middle of the following month, please assume you have not won. You can request feedback on the material that you sent in and the AWGB will try to provide you with constructive comments for your consideration. However, we cannot promise a timeframe for the critique.