Woodturning, like many activities, can present hazards and risks. These can be minimised by using the correct safety equipment and a common sense approach.
Here’s a quick checklist for when you start.
1. Safety visor or goggles must be worn
2. Solid Shoes must be worn
3. Secure loose items eg long hair & sleeves. Remove ties & jewellery.
4. Speed – ensure the lathe is set to a speed suitable for the job
5. Security – check that the work piece is properly held
6. Set The Tool Rest Height and position
7. SPIN the work to ensure it doesn’t foul the tool rest
8. Support – always ensure that the tool is on the tool rest before engaging the timber
9. STOP the lathe if at any point you are unsure of what you are expected to do
AWGB Safety Policies.
The following pages contain the policies aimed to promote safe practices for turning.