January 2021 Show & Tell Entries

Valentine's Day

January – Valentines Day -how could you incorporate that theme into wood turning? Engraving cupid, different wood coloured hearts, red colouring? You decide. It may even stop you forgetting to get that special someone something this year!
 
 
January prize – G & S Specialist Timber  £50 voucher and £50 of Blanks
Robin Goodman
 
Finished size of piece Max diameter 95mm, height 150mm.
 
I started with a kiln dried 100mm square sycamore spindle blank. The shape I chose was similar to one used before that 
seemed a pleasing shape to me.  After turning to round between centres, most operations were carried out with the piece supported in a scroll chuck.   Final finishing of underside of the base was carried out by reversing onto a jam chuck containing a groove to match the top rim and supported by the tailstock.

Most of the shaping to the outside was carried out first until I was satisfied with the profile. Then the inside was carefully hollowed out, working progressively downwards to leave a thickness of around 3mm.  After sanding the inside, a few final cuts down the outside were made to reduce the thickness to 2mm.

Rather than the very small voids most commonly produced by piercing, I chose much larger cut outs, which give a different effect and which were quicker and easier to smooth off, because a mini drum sander could be used to assist.    In some of my pierced bowls I have included disguised names within the piercing pattern of pieces that were for anniversary gifts.   For this piece I included a special void shape, that could easily be missed, unless carefully inspected.

The sycamore grain was very plain, so I decided to add colour.  An airbrush was used for the outside, starting with blue, darker at the base and lighter further up, where it was blended with the red.   Acrylic blue paint was applied by brush to the inside surface and to the inside perimeter of the voids.  Darker blue was then applied with a sponge to provide a contrasting fleck appearance.

The rim had deliberately been left taller to add strength and minimise the risk of breakage. To finish, it was sanded down to a better level.   The top edge of the rim, together with side and underside of the base were left uncoloured to show the bare wood.   A finish of acrylic satin lacquer was applied.

Robin Goodman, 5 Jan 2021