Request for Applications
For 2017, The Turners’ Company is offering one or more Bursaries, worth up to a combined value of £10,000, to assist talented woodturners to develop their craft skills and to move to a higher level of achievement. The awards are open to UK resident turners whose work is well regarded by their peers and who can put forward a clear plan of how the award will advance their work, expand the boundaries of the craft of turning and raise the profile of the craft. There is no upper age limit.
What are Turners’ Company Bursaries awarded for?
- To fund further study, research or training and practical experience for craftsmen and women, who want to improve their craft and trade skills.
- Bursaries may not, normally, be used for premises or other business set-up costs.
- Bursaries may be used for acquiring specialist equipment, provided it is part of the whole request.
What are we looking for?
- Well thought out proposals which will contribute to the excellence of our craft in general.
- On the submission you need to explain clearly why your proposals will improve your skills and what you expect to achieve as a result. You may have assistance in writing your submission.
- You also need to give a reasonably accurate estimate of the full cost of your proposals.
Who can apply?
- You must be 18 or over to apply, but there is no upper age limit.
- You need to demonstrate an ambition and commitment to develop your skills to a higher level within the craft and that you are firmly committed to the craft of woodturning.
- Only those who live and work permanently in the UK are eligible for the award of a Bursary.
- The Bursary is available to all Turners; amateur and professional.
The Application Submission
The entry form should include the names of two referees (who should be members of the Turners’ Company, the RPT, AWGB, SOT or APTGW) and must be accompanied by:
- A short curriculum vitae.
- One or more photographs of turned items made by you, with descriptions of the production methods and materials you employed;
- A written proposal outlining your aspirations and an outline plan of what you want to achieve from a Bursary (techniques; skills; training; equipment; new products).
- A costed action plan showing how you intend to use the Bursary money.
All Submissions will be carefully read and appraised, and if your submission captures the attention of the Turners’ Company Bursary awards committee you, and others selected, will be invited to attend an interview. The interviews are usually held in London. Those selected for interview will be sent further details of the award process. They will receive reimbursement of their documented travel expenses.
At the interview you will be asked to make a short presentation in support of your proposal. You will be expected to show relevant samples of your work, to highlight what you would like to achieve should you be given the opportunity of funding and generally display a passion for your craft. Applicants will have already been turning for some time and will, therefore, be able to demonstrate a reasonably advanced level of skill.
The decision of the Bursary Committee will be final. In the event that it finds more than one candidate of outstanding ability, the Bursary may be divided among them or, if there is no suitable candidate, the award will be held over.
Applications must be received by the Turners’ Company Clerk before 15th May 2017.
Those invited for interview will be notified during the week beginning 5th June 2017. Interviews can be expected to commence shortly after this date.
Details of those selected to receive awards will be published during July 2017.
The Application Form
Application forms are available on the Turners’ Company website:
or by request to the Clerk of the Turners’ Company at the address below. Forms may also be available from the Secretary of your Turning Club.
Queries or Clarification
Queries about any aspects of the Turners Company Bursary 2017 should be addressed to the Chairman of the Turners Company Howe Committee, Peter Gibson.
The Worshipful Company of Turners
8 Dowgate Hill
London EC4R 2SP