Thank you to all those who entered. It was a difficult task choosing the top sixty and even tougher for the judges choosing the top three! The winners and photos of the travelling exhibition, along with where it can be seen are now on the website here – 2017 Travelling exhibition
Every Seminar we select between 50 and 60 pieces to take around the UK as part of our travelling exhibition. We keep the pieces for two years and in the past they have been returned in August before the Seminar. The current pieces go back in 2017 and as the next Seminar is 2018 we need to replenish the exhibition.
We are holding a competition. It is open to any woodturner in the UK whether they are AWGB members or not. There isn’t a theme – we just want you to send us some photos of your best pieces of work from which we will make a selection of the best 60 pieces. We will arrange with you for these pieces to be sent to Woodworks at Daventry where Ray Key and Reg Hawthorne will judge the top three and we will award prizes for 1st of £175, 2nd of £150 and 3rd of £125.
The rules are simple:
- You may enter up to three pieces
- You must submit three high quality images per entry by email to email@example.com
- Images may be sent on multiple emails if necessary; each email will be acknowledged.
- Images must be submitted no later than Friday 10 March.
- The images must show side view, top view and underneath view (or an “interesting angle”).
- At least one of the images must contain a ruler so we can judge the size of the piece.
- Your email should describe the piece including details of the timber used in no more than 50 words.
- You must agree that if chosen, we can retain the piece(s) until October 2018.
- You must indicate whether you are prepared to sell the piece.
- You must provide a sale price even if it isn’t for sale for insurance purposes. We insure the pieces for 60% of their sale value.
- If we sell one of your pieces we take 10% commission plus VAT.
We’ll discuss packaging etc. with you if your piece is selected.
That’s all, get making! We’re looking forward to seeing your entries.
Entries can be delivered directly to Carpenters’ Hall between 9.30am and 11.30am on Tuesday 11 October or to any of the collection points in the document below before Wednesday 5 October.
Competitors are responsible for the adequate packaging of their work; an appropriately sized cardboard or wooden box must be provided for all entries, which must be marked clearly with the competitor’s name and address and should also be marked “COMPETITION”
More details on the WCT website
The Worshipful company of turners are organising a number of competitions for both junior and adult turners.
Planned entries to the competitions should be registered with the Clerk of the Turners’ Company at the latest on Monday 12 September. Entries can be delivered or posted to the Clerk to arrive no later than Tuesday 4 October. Entries can also be delivered directly to Carpenters’ Hall between 9.30am and 11.30am on Tuesday 11 October.
Judging will take place on Tuesday 11 October 2016
More details and competition rules can be found on the WCT website