Author Topic: yew trinket box  (Read 3232 times)

Offline wider

• gold
yew trinket box
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »
this box is 2x1,1/2" in size. it is finished with sand sealer and then a beeswax finish.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: yew trinket box
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:42:25 PM »
My initial reaction is that the knob really doesn't work. A lid which overhangs such as this, doesn't need a knob for practical purposes, so to use one as large as this tends to overpower the turning when a much smaller, more delicate knob might have helped. A closer look also shows that the shape of the knob is a little weak....it doesn't have the clearly defined lines of the lid, the box and its plinth. Try to look at it objectively...imagine it without the knob and see if still think that it is necessary. have a look at the massur birch box recently posted in the gallery...you'll see what I mean!
Beyond that issue, the finish looks quite good and you've managed to keep most of the detail crisp while sanding it.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 10:37:15 PM »
hi Les
  thank you for the comments. I can see what you are getting at. thank you will try and put this right if I can get the top in the lathe again.
dennis
will post photo if this happens.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
Hi Dennis

I'd agree with Les.  I also spotted what seemed to be a bit of burn mark on the box - did it slip when you reversed it?  We've all done it and it's a real pain.

I think it would have looked better with a lit inset and a different knob - maybe a ball on top of a bead and cover to match the base.  You could try that with a bit of scrap perhaps?

Having said that the finish looks good and the detail is crisp. 

Hope that helps

Cheers Dave

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:56:58 PM »
Wider I agree with the comments already made so no need for me to say anything about that. If you decide to re-turn the lid why not have a go at making a jamb chuck? Mount some scrap in your chuck and turn to round then form a hoolow with parallel sides the the lid gits into snuggly. You may want to drill a hole so that you can poke it back out again but once in there it should be firm enough for you to take gentle cuts and alter the lid. This really is a good way to learn to turn and you are doing well keep it up.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »
thank you all for your comments. Dave yes it did slip on the lathe but by the time I stopped it it was to late. will try and sort the top out and re post later.
   dennis

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:49:38 AM »
Looks very nicely turned Dennis I have to agree with the others about the knob on top.

I've looked at this several times and keep coming back to the same idea so here it is, I think I would cut away the top part of the knob at the tapper just leaving the bottom knob and round this over so your left with a little round knob on the lid.

Dave must have had his glasses on when he spotted the burn mark - looks like no one is going to get away with anything on here :)

Ed

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »
after all the comments that have been posted on here about the finial part of this box I have decided to re turn it and this is the final outcome. thank you all for the help.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
Well Dennis I think that look much better and worth the effort  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »
Much better.well done.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »
I didn`t like this one in the first pics,but the new knob makes all the difference,much better,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 06:36:15 PM »
I did not comment on this when you first put it up because it looked wrong and It just seemed like I picked on everything you make and never see the positives in your work.
I think altering the knob has made all the difference it is surprising how such small detail can make or break a piece.
This has made all the difference.
Being picky I would like to see the detail a bit crisper where the bowl meets the base it looks like you have sanded a bit of the detail away.
I think this is a very nice piece well done.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
hi Eric thank you for your comments.
  George thank you for the comments. I am here to get better. I will take all your comments and try and use them. I did think that you wear just being pointless and not helping with the way you replied to me posting my work. it got me that I was not wanting to post any more photos on hear but decided against that. I will and do listen to points made on here and want to get better in design and finish. so all the help you can give will be taken and I assure you I will get better.
  thank you for your help and patients.
dennis