Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
Re: Suspension
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 05:53:45 PM »
Definitely different, Like the idea and be interesting to see where you go with it.

Pete

Cheers Pete

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 05:57:27 PM »

Cheers Les, never knew the first bit, lol but yeah this has potential for a good few different ideas. Thanks again for the compliments.

Rgds

Gary

Hi again Gary...I've been wracking my brains trying to remember the name of the architect, and it came to me early this morning...Sam Scorer. He was decades ahead of his time and built a few roofs in Lincolnshire on the nail-and-string-pattern principal. The most famous is a service station on the side of the A1, it's a Grade II listed building, yet it's empty these days because the access to it doesn't suit modern traffic. If you Google him, and check out the Google images against his name, you'll even see wooden mock-ups that he did....you might get some ideas from it.
Les
Thanks again Les, very interesting.

Rgds  Gary

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
A hyperbolic parabula is a curved surface that can be created entirely by rotating straight lines around either static or moving centres of rotation. Your classic examples are the cooling tower of a power station or, admittedly more profane, potato chips. The first person to actually use them in architecture was a Russian named Vladimir Shukhov in 1896.

Nice idea, and very well executed!
Many thanks and also for the info on the hyperbolics, now I know it's not just nails and string, lol

Rgds  Gary

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 06:02:51 PM »

Although not to our personal taste Gary ........ cannot find fault in any way very very neatly done
           We Think this concept could be taken further
           Kind Regards Tony d
Many thanks, I know it's not for everyone (like a lot of turning) I was just playing after seeing the sais "nail and string" pictures. I agree it could be taken further so I might re-visit it at some point and see if I can do it differently.

Best Regards

Gary

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »
Hi Gary,there`s been a few turners gone with similar designs as this using string to hang a another pice in the middle of the outer design,always find them fascinating,as I wonder where they hide the knot,lovely piece,works well for me,cheers,

Eric.
Many thanks Eric

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »
Reminiscent of a Bob Chapman piece, well done I like it.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
I've looked at this several times and don't really know what superlative to use.

It's so original and so far from anything else, it's a whole new design of art turning. Looking forward to your future work and postings.

And just how did you manage to centre the small bowl so well?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »
Reminiscent of a Bob Chapman piece, well done I like it.
Many thanks John, I'll have to look for Bob's piece on line and see if I can find it and see if I can improve on mine.

Best Regards

Gary

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
I've looked at this several times and don't really know what superlative to use.

It's so original and so far from anything else, it's a whole new design of art turning. Looking forward to your future work and postings.

And just how did you manage to centre the small bowl so well?

Many thanks for your kind comments, centring it was actually easier than it looks. just a wee bit of fiddling about. The hardest bit was the finishing knot and trying to keep it hidden.

Best Regards

Gary