Author Topic: Dragons and Eagles  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Dragons and Eagles
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
Just had another look at this Les, not the platter but the support, simple but effective. With permission I can use this basic design for displaying at shows?

Pete

...no need to ask, Pete, but I appreciate that you did ask. It's so much nicer than those horrid plastic things that I've been using, and I must admit that the plastic ones can put little scratch marks in the rim of the platter.

I turn the upright as a single spindle incorporating the ball on top and bottom, then drill two 12mm holes in the bottom ball whilst it's still on the lathe, using the index head to set the holes at 60degrees.
The legs start off between centres, but get finished in a chuck so that the balls can be fully rounded over.

I've mad several of these and I find that the leg length needs to be about 1/3 of the diameter of the platter and the upright about 2/3 of the platter. It's by no means critical! I'm toying with the idea of making a couple of more modern-looking ones, by just turning the balls and using 6mm black steel rod to connect them all.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Lovely work Les. I like it a lot.
Thanks for sharing

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
Very nice Les your skill with the pryo machine is something else,

Ed

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 09:39:46 AM »
Very nice,Les. Good piece of turning and pyro,work. Like the Welsh dragon and eagle motifs. Well done. Malcolm.