Author Topic: I made tools  (Read 3745 times)

WorldOfWoodcraft

I made tools
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:20 PM »

I made some new wood turning tools.
A 3 point tool, a scraper and a skew.

I hope the image shows. If not http://www.instructables.com/id/Turning-Wood-Turning-Tools/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: I made tools
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:30:21 AM »
They look well made and the handles are neat. What grade of steel have you used?

I'm not sure how I'd get on with round section bar on scrapers and skews, though. I've a feeling that I'd take a while getting used to that.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:37:26 AM »
I bought a used 1/2" round bar skew chisel a while ago, and I have to tell you I wouldn't be without it. It's almost unbeatable for finials and other fine shapes (not much good for straight cylinders, though).

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:43:26 PM »
I buy HSS metal on amazon square and round.

Les you`d soon get used to roundbar scrapers I think,just a matter of altering your technique to suit.

fuzzy,I find it just as easy to get straight cylinders with a round skew as I do with a flat skew,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »
I got the HSS from e bay really more of an experimental project. I have a crown 3 point tool but wanted a longer handle but the tool steel came in a pack of 3 so I extended the experiment.

The scraper is actually really forgiving, when I have friends over in the workshop to work on projects they prefer it.. Or a similar design by a hero of mine Tracy Owen which uses a round stock to make a scraper. - his is better- mine is smaller.

The skew is pretty nice and i think the round on it for me helps with some jobs.. Though I tend to use the tool closest to my hand most of the time.. I think I may have gone for a little too fine an angle for some of the things I want to use it for. But with the relatively small investment for a pack of hss I might make a few iterations.

By the way if you would like a how to make guide.. I made one http://www.instructables.com/id/Turning-Wood-Turning-Tools/

Offline David J. Ross

• copper
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
Really nice turned tools
Couple of questions I would like answered (this is me showing my ignorance)
1. When shaping cuting edge is this done on a grinder if so what grit
2. What is the best tool for cutting HSS steel

Thanks David

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 12:12:52 PM »
1) More often than not it is done on a grinder. Grits vary. Some people use a rough (60 grit) stone to achieve the rough shape and then move to a finer grit for the final sharpening. I think the most popular grinding wheels are white (quite soft, has to be used on a slow grinder), ruby (harder, that's what i use) or CBN (cubic boron nitrate, any speed, very efficient, very expensive, but gives excellent results). There are also sharpening systems using sanding belts: the Robert Sorby is an excellent exponent of that category.
2) I presume you mean cutting rods to length: unhardened HSS steel can be cut with a suitable hacksaw (but it's hard work). For the rough cut (in an amateur workshop) I would recommend careful use of an angle grinder. Hardened HSS will need an angle grinder (and some patience and muscle).

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
Instructables, one of my faverite web sites (after this forum). Always pleased to see wood stuff, especially if it's properly done. There are some awful American ideas posted.

I have a bought round skew (no Les, one I'm not an expert at) and a 3 point tool.

The scraper looks a lot like the Cove Tool, you used to be able to purchase from Henry Taylor. However I cannot see the grind to be sure.

If it isn't and you are up to trying a minor modification, put it on the grinder and a very short grind on the round side of the tip, so that there is about a 70 degree angle between the angled face and the bar. It will give it a great cutting edge, especially for coves.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:59:21 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 06:34:49 PM »
Hey I didn't know about the cove tool. the profile is more like the Crown 'Beecham' Skewchigouge. But now that I know about the cove tool I'm thinking about re visiting the make to include a cove tool.. I'm not sure a demonstration in-front of people would necessarily be as entertaining to an audience as it would be for me , But there is the potential for demoing something like this and reducing the time spent grinding and quenching by having examples of what i made earlier.. (the Blue Peter method)

For the sharpening question... people have been sharpening tools for a long long time and there are tons of methods to do this, some of which will result in your cutting edges being so sharp the term wood work stops making seance because its no longer work. Having really sharp tools means that its wood joy or something all together different than work..

I personally use a tormek system and went for the best I could afford. I went for this because it had a whole bunch of fin jigs to reproduce an exact angle and I can be confident that I am only removing the amount of material necessary to get a perfect cutting edge again. and it has a leather strop which takes my very sharp tools and puts them in a new league.
As I say there are lots of different methods and different people will have different preferences due to their experiences.

I was using a grinder to shape these tools and I took special care to make sure i didn't get the tool metal to hot,, (i didn't want to change the properties of the metal... I think  the technical work is de temper the metal) Interestingly this is why the tormec has a water troth.. to keep everything nice and cold.

I know some people do use grinders to re introduce a cutting edge to their tools but I think if you can do a little research this might not be the best idea for all people. Though it is probably cheaper to use a bench grinder that you already have it is unlikely to give you the results your looking for.. Which is a tool where the ribbons of waste material come off the work leaving a beautiful surface behind.

(Here is my guilty secret.. I tend not to sharpen as often as i should. Instead I move onto another tool in my collection which is sharp. )

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 07:36:12 PM »
Sorry for righting an essay.. Re instructables.. I think its a fab website too. there are good and bad things on it but i think the good tends to float to the top being featured and commented on and wining awards, the rubbish stuff tends to sink into obscurity..

I think from a turners perspective there is a very limited amount going on on the site, but every now and again I will upload something which makes it a little more turner..

I think its real strengths are not that every article is super written and perfect but that its a platform where everyone can have a go and become valued for the work they have done. I know a whole bunch of people who kinda need more of this. But there is also the fact that a bunch of very interesting and creative people are poring inspiration into it on a daily basis which also makes it ace.