Author Topic: Yew platter  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Yew platter
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:53:08 PM »
Several weeks ago I bought a big, rough slab of yew, about 10ft long, varying between 20" and 24" wide, and 2.5" thick. It was riddled with bark and dead-wood inclusions, pippy burrs etc etc, and I managed to cut 10 bowls and 2 platters out of it, to say nothing of all the scrappy little pieces that made baubles etc at Christmas time.

I turned this piece on the weekend and was delighted with its natural features. When the tree was still growing it surrounded and encapsulated a dead branch, which had turned black. The branch sweeps across a part of the base of the bowl and then pops up through a knot hole elsewhere. It's overall size is 16" diam x 2.5" deep.

I experimented with the finish on this piece, and remembered something that Bryan (Dr4g0nfly) pointed out to me several months ago, when some spalting on a bowl that I'd turned had sanded away more that the surrounding clean and harder wood. So I deliberately sanded this piece really hard, even going down to 40 grit paper, then 60, 80, 100, 120 etc, up to 400. This had the effect of making the surface 'readable' to the finger tip. Every little pip stands out and it's a joy to run your fingers over. I managed to get the beads to remain crisp by leaving them slightly over-sized and then re-cutting them a little when I got up to the 180 grit paper.  It's had 2 coats of sanding sealer and 3 coats of micro-crystaline wax.

I'm really pleased with the texture that it's produced and might well use the system again for such pieces as this.

Comments and criticisms always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Yew platter
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »

gwyntog, yew turned a really nice piece there .. you'd got a nice slab, should they all come out like this..

Well done on the form and finish.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:03:12 PM »
I do believe we have a convert to wabi sabi turning LOL. Please refrain from using the word 'riddled' the word is 'blessed' with bark and dead-wood inclusions, pippy burrs etc etc. Lovely wood, lovely piece of work, and great to see someone who makes the most of the wood, not makes it do what you want.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:04:47 AM »
This has got my vote, I love yew and what you have done with this is fantastic

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:34:41 AM »
Cheers guys....glad you like it. It sold immediately, but at a knock-down price as it's going to be a 'come-and-see-me' piece at a display in a new shop where I've just landed an order to supply my wares. I'll be quite happy if they don't sell it, but just keep it on display with my name on!

Pete....just researched wabi sabi.....had no idea that it was a Japanese concept; always thought that it was a Celtic excuse for selling rustic stuff at Bond Street prices... ;)

Les

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 09:02:54 AM »
This is a lovely piece its made of one of my favorite timbers, I get mine when I visit wales on holidays. Wales produces some beautiful Yew.
I'm pleased it going to be a display piece it deserves to be seen.
John
John English

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »

Well done Les all that hard work with the sanding has
   definitely paid off.

Kind Regards
   Tony and Diane
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
Les,

it really is stunning to look at. It even has a (softwood) spalting in it.

One thought though, that dead knot, it will eventually come loose (I've got a knot that's done just that in a yew bowl). I did not use it at the time so maybe someone else can say yes or no to this suggestion. But I'd suggest a tin super-glue run in around it to secure it for the future, if you have not already done so.

I'm really jealous of the dimensions you can get Yew in as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
I agree about the knot. Thin CA glue run around the edge of it letting it run down between the knot and the surrounding wood should hold it. done it myself a few times.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »
Tony & Diane....ironically, this piece of yew was bought in England, but only just over the border. It might well be Welsh, but I can't be sure.

Bryan and Pete...I omitted to comment on my use of ca in the opening text, but for the record, the dead branch seemed quite secure, but was flaking away a lot, so I drenched it in ca glue twice whilst I was turning it. I ran a medium viscosity glue around the perimeter and drenched the surface with low viscosity.....so it's now quite solid and there shouldn't be any nasty surprises for its new owner when it hits a centrally heated environment.

Les

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
Siwd mae Les / How do Yew do! ;D

Beautiful piece of Yew,Beautifully turned platter, Beautifully finished.

Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 09:14:03 PM »
Diolch Rod....iechyd da!      (Thanks Rod...good health to you)

Les  (that's Welsh for 'Les')

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 07:53:19 PM »
really what can be said its fantastic

Paul Disdle

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »
stunning piece of wood, turned to make the most of it

Paul