Author Topic: Advice please sharpening  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Vestas

• copper
Advice please sharpening
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »
Hi

After joining this forum last week and receiving great help so far - Yesterday I purchased my lathe (Axminster craft) a set of tools etc
I’m now skint and wondering what my options are for tool sharpening . The sharpening system in the shop was £££££££££ so I’ve looked at the following alternatives-
Oil stone
Diamond card
Buy a cheap bench grinder and fit a white sharpening wheel ?
Anyone help me please

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Advice please sharpening
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:07:34 AM »
I have been using a cheap grinder with a white wheel for many years with no problem as long as you are gentle with it. I use a little jig for angles, easily made yourself. I have also migrated to using a trend card instead of returning to the wheel all the time during jobs, saves time and also steel LOL.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »
My whole sharpening system is made from cheap B&Q grinders, no need to spend lots of money on expensive grinders that promise you the earth, just learn how to use them correctly and you will never have a problem.
2 things you need to be a good turner,sharp tools and time at the lathe.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
I totally agree with the previous posts; don't get sucked into buying ridiculously expensive 'sharpening systems', but one extra tip - buy a wide stone, white or pink as it's very easy to slip off the edge of the standard 3/4" wheels. A 1" wide wheel may not sound much bigger but it makes life a lot easier.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:23:22 AM »
Thanks very much
If I bought a cheaper bench grinder - would the pink and or white wheels fit ? Is it a standard fit ?

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »
I have used a Peter Childs ruby whell for over twenty years now and Meaured it recently and i have worn nearl 12mm from it! i have it on  recrod grinder with the wide, white wheel.
i made the jig by cpying the craft Spplies one based on the Wolverine, all wood and works well. You can make the tool rest for the other wheel yourself although i have Robert Sorby one there.
My philosphy has always make what you need rather than buy.
i have a'tee' shaped diamond wheel dresser and that will make alot of differnece as the metal prticles ebedded in the wheel will nt help at all.
Ron

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 05:32:19 PM »
I have a good condition Record Power bench grinder with white wheel and diamond dresser for sale see PM asking where you are....
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 05:36:53 PM »
So what about the expensive linisher-type sharpening kit like the Sorby Pro-Edge or the Axminster Ultimate Edge? Both quite expensive too. Is this type of kit not work the money?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 05:38:32 PM »
So what about the expensive linisher-type sharpening kit like the Sorby Pro-Edge or the Axminster Ultimate Edge? Both quite expensive too. Is this type of kit not work the money?

Yes, if you have the money!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
To be honest I don't think you will get a better edge  with the more expensive kits. As you need to sharpen a tool frequently, a lot with some woods, a quick pass is usually all that is needed on a wheel. That's where I use my diamond credit card.

Pete

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 06:54:21 PM »
No. They are very well marketed but that does not make them good value for money.

Regarding fitting wheels to bench grinders, most wheels are manufactured with a 31.75mm diam hole and you fit appropriate bushes to suit the diameter of the spindles of the grinder. Many grinders are 12.5mm but not all. Creusen for example, are 15mm. The good news is that the bushes cost pennies, are often included in the price of the wheel, or you can turn your own.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
I use THIS for turning tools along with a diamond card. It is worth either investing in a platform or even make one to aid keeping the angles correct

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 07:15:17 PM »
I use THIS for turning tools along with a diamond card

Same as me though mine is so old it cost about 1/2 that LOL.

Pete

Offline alex_heney

• iron
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 12:07:58 AM »
Hi

After joining this forum last week and receiving great help so far - Yesterday I purchased my lathe (Axminster craft) a set of tools etc
I’m now skint and wondering what my options are for tool sharpening . The sharpening system in the shop was £££££££££ so I’ve looked at the following alternatives-
Oil stone
Diamond card
Buy a cheap bench grinder and fit a white sharpening wheel ?
Anyone help me please

Define "cheap".

When I bought my lathe in January, I also bought a £50 bench grinder (which came with a wide white wheel and a narrow grey one), also from Axminster. https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-craft-ac150wsg-wide-stone-grinder-105117

So far, no issues with it. I have been sharpening my tools freehand. A jig would help consistency, but doesn't get the tools any sharper

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 12:28:17 AM »
If you want to sharpen on the cheap, make an MDF wheel to mount on your lathe and stick some abrasive on it