Author Topic: Advice please sharpening  (Read 2907 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Advice please sharpening
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 09:40:02 AM »
The other thing is if you do change the wheels on a grinder make sure you balance the wheel before use. In a recent magazine article about bench grinders that was not mentioned at all. You also need to dress a wheel before its first use.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Re: Advice please sharpening
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »
Sometimes you just need a reminder to use the things around you before getting your credit card out. In this case, many thanks to Paul for reminding me that a piece of mdf with a bit of abrasive paste on it is just the job for polishing the bevels on my carving gouges!

This was very timely, as I have nearly finished 4 metres of  a braid design that I have been carving on an oak face frame and my gouges were in need of a tickle up, to say the least. I had been pondering whether to buy on of those fancy linishers, like a Sorby pro edge with a polishing wheel accessory, but all I really needed was to spend 2 minutes grubbing around in a dusty corner of the workshop for an off-cut of mdf left by a luthier friend of mine and the problem is solved.

Thanks again Paul for the tip. Its fixed my gouges, but not my back ache from spending so long carving.