Author Topic: First attempt at a plate  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
First attempt at a plate
« on: January 18, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »
Hi all,
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a complete beginner and I thought I'd share a couple of photos of my very first attempt at turning a plate or very shallow dish. Prior to this piece, I have done three small practice pieces, two of which ended up as knobs on the lids of some pans :)
Critical comments welcomed. I'll start it off by saying it's far from perfect and there are still tool marks which became obvious when I put some furniture beeswax polish on it. I will probably put it back on the lathe to see if I can improve the finish .... that said it was very pleasurable to see this plate emerge from what had previously been the seat of a broken chair  :). I think it is oak.
Mike.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
Re: First attempt at a plate
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
I like the overall look, wood and shape. There will be loads more people better qualified to advise on the finish.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »
For a complete beginner that's not bad at all. Yes, there are tool marks, and there are also some bumps and ridges, but the overall shape is not bad.
Unless you have done that already, join your local club, there's plenty of good advice to be had there in terms of improving your skills.

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
Hi Mike,

Congratulations on reclaiming a fine piece of timber and the makings of a good plate.

You are aware of areas for improvement and considering refining it on the lathe which sounds like a plan but wonder whether it is worthwhile for you to practice your  improvements with tool and sanding on practice pieces first. I am no expert but with  tuition and practice have more skill all round and better understanding of timber and grain.

There is so much to learn that you cannot expect to turn a piece to a credible standard after just a few turnings-you'll get there, enjoy the journey

Is it oak or might it be elm?

Phil

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 04:01:51 PM »
I think it looks like Elm
+No point pointing out the flaws as you seem to have identified them yourself so you know what to work on

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
|A qiuck coat of sanding sealer can often show up defects like tool marks, sanding marks etc before finishing off.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »
I think that you've done remarkably well and that you've got the right attitude towards the effort that you've made. There are, inevitably, some faults, but it's so good that you've recognised and acknowledged them. A flat bottomed dish is tricky, as is any flat surface, and ridges happen all too easily. If you are going to re-mount this on the lathe, do it soon as it is likely to change shape slightly, in which case you'd have little hope of using any tools other than abrasives.

Well done...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 08:38:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated. If I may reply collectively :
It may well be elm, I’m not good at wood species recognition.
I do intend to get some professional tuition but that will have to wait a while as I’m recovering from a major op on my leg and can’t walk very far or stand for very long at the moment. Hence I don’t get to stand at the lathe making shavings very often or for very long. I’m hoping to get a 1-to-1 class in February, God and leg willing, after which I will join a club.
Yes, I had thought that if I put it back on the lathe, it may not rotate well and my only option might be abrasives. I’ll give the sanding sealer tip a go on future work.
I’m glad you liked the shape .
I do intend to practice on the builders timber offcuts I’ve got before venturing on to better wood, I will admit though, when I saw this broken chair, I was overtaken by enthusiasm to see what I could make of it.
Thanks all,
Mike.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »
One of the things you mightb try Mike is power sanding, put a sanding disc on your electric drill and sand with the lathe rotating ans in the stopped position, you will be surprised what marks it will get rid of.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
I'll give that a go. Thanks  :)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 05:16:20 AM »
Great first turning , its going to get better with practice , make sure you keep your first ever turning as its something to look back on  :)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
A good first warts and all. As stated you know some of the mistakes which is a good sign that you are looking at the piece in the correct way. Hope you are able to get to the days lesson you should learn loads

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »
Good idea that, I'll keep it as a reminder of my start in woodturning.
Yep, looking forward to getting some tuition just as soon as I can stand for long enough :)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 02:31:23 AM »
Good idea that, I'll keep it as a reminder of my start in woodturning.
Yep, looking forward to getting some tuition just as soon as I can stand for long enough :)

I use one of these for small faceplate / chuck turnings when I have no need to move side to side on long spindle turnings projects , also very handy for the most important tea breaks  ;D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-perching-ironing-padded-adjustable/dp/B004U9LWUO

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 07:09:57 AM »
Hi Mike

A great effort. I remember my first turnings that I posted on here and I don't think it was as good as yours.

All the best

Ed