Author Topic: Crown Tools M42 Razor Edge tools.  (Read 17109 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Crown Tools M42 Razor Edge tools.
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:57:54 AM »
Crown Tools have developed a new type of tool the M42 Razor Edge tools are claimed to hold a better sharper edge than any other Turning tool today
If you want to know more info about them look on page 44 of the issue300 Woodturning Mag or Email Mark Sanger who will be selling them. Marks Email info@marksanger.co.uk
Mine are on order and will be here any day now and I am looking forward to trying them.
I will let you know how I get on.

Regards George
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:43:46 PM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
Re: Crown Tools M42 Razor Edge tools.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
Crown Tools have developed a new type of tool steel the M42 Razor Edge tools

M42 steel has been around for years George, are Crown really trying to claim they've developed it?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:33:28 PM »
They are Cryogenically treated this is the difference apparently

Regards George

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 09:01:12 AM »
Crown Tools have developed a new type of tool steel the M42 Razor Edge tools

M42 steel has been around for years George, are Crown really trying to claim they've developed it?

No Crown are not really claim they have developed it at all and as tool manufacturers are well aware that M42 steel has been around for ages. They have developed a new tool in 'their range' to include M42 which is treated further 'cryogenically' making it harder again thus giving a harder sharper edge and retention over standard M42. You may find that other manufacturers use M42 as the base metal but may not include other treatments.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »
Any excuse to make them more expensive
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »
I expect they will be more expensive because there is more cost in producing them.
Nobody has to buy them if they don't want to.

Regards George

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »
Any excuse to make them more expensive

;D not the case I think you will surprised compared to some M42 priced tools on the market. But of course they will be more expensive than tools of a lower grade steel.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »
I have had the opportunity now to have used this tool on everything from very hard very dry Oak to Beech and Sycamore.
I sharpen on a fine grit CBN wheel on a Cruesen slow grinder and the edge I get is amazing and very long lasting.
A couple of days ago I sharpened the tool turned Sycamore for three and a half hours without further sharpening and it still had a good edge.
When I turned the very hard and dry Oak bowl about 13" x 3" I did have to re sharpen once but I am not surprised it was hard going.
I my opinion this Bowl gouge is far superior to any of my other tools and worth the extra cost.
I was given this Tool by Crown to test and if I did not find a marked difference between this the HSS Tools and the Cryo tools I would say so I don't do bullshit.

Regards George

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »
A couple of days ago I sharpened the tool turned Sycamore for three and a half hours without further sharpening and it still had a good edge.
When I turned the very hard and dry Oak bowl about 13" x 3" I did have to re sharpen once but I am not surprised it was hard going.

That's very pertinent information George. Something worth consideration when assessing the cost of the tool is just how long it's going to last. If the frequency of sharpening is considerably reduced, the tool will last considerably longer.....making it a more economic option.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »
i'd be interested to know how this sort of tool does on timbers with a high silica content or some rock hard ones that are known to be hard on the tools.

use it on timbers that will be a real test for the tool like greenheart, jarrah, teak, balau, ipe, massaranduba, wenge, okan, angelim vermelho, jatoba, opepe, ekki and probably the worst on tools is cumaru.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:26:28 PM by seventhdevil »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:11 PM »
i'd be interested to know how this sort of tool does on timbers with a high silica content or some rock hard ones that are known to be hard on the tools.

use it on timbers that will be a real test for the tool like greenheart, jarrah, teak, balau, ipe, massaranduba, wenge, okan, angelim vermelho, jatoba, opepe, ekk and probably the worst on tools is cumaru.

Mark Sanger is selling these tools so there is nothing stopping you buying one and doing the experiments you suggest.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
he has none listed on his site as the "cryo tools", besides i've no dosh to spare on tools at the mo as i've spent it all on wood.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 11:23:15 PM »
In comparison to other metals M42 Cryo will do the job nicely, why you would want to turn all those horrible exotic woods is beyond me when we have such lovely native timbers. All I can say is that the samples I have sent out to time honored turners have come back with more than fantastic comments. And in my own use, not that I am any one worth listening too, they are my go to tool as I hate sharpening and these keep their edge far longer. My web site is I admit behind as I am chasing my tail with work, but it will but up and running soon.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:26:28 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »
i have no doubt that it is a good tool but i simply think that more extensive testing needs doing before it's claimed to be the next thing since sliced bread.

sadly we don't have the sort of timbers i need in this country but don't mis understand me mark, i do love our natives too and use sycamore and beech for my skittles along with plenty of natives for nice big bowls but i turn alot of exotic timbers as a curiosity and as part of my job. lignum is used for skittle balls but is in short supply and i'll be replacing it with angelim vermelho (dinizia excelsa) which is very hard on the tools. i have also tried others like garapa, ekki and walaba.

if i knew that these cryo tools stood up to what i put them through then i'd definitely buy some...

can i be a tester?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
Why would they do that?

Regards George