Author Topic: Coloured Sycamore bowl  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
Coloured Sycamore bowl
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:40:48 PM »
Morning all,

Here's a few photos of a piece I just finished. Although the piece looks nothing like it, I was inspired by Nick Agar's Viking Sunset bowls to do something along the same lines but with my own twist. I was speaking to Nick this morning while he is in Australia and he has no problems with me sharing my version of his concept.
So here it is, Sycamore, 10" x 2.5" using Jo Sonja paints (again, lol) and Chestnut stains and lacquer.

C & C's most welcome as usual (positive or negative, lol)

Best Regards   Gary

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: Coloured Sycamore bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »
Hi Gary

It's very well executed but I rather feel there is too much going on for my taste.  I love the rim and the central boss which remind me of a stormy sea.  It's the bit between the central boss and the rim that I can't make my mind up about. 

But it is very well done, nonetheless.

Cheers Dave

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »
As Dave said, for me, there's too much going on, yet there's no disputing the quality. I think that I would have liked it more if the colours were more similar, or perhaps even if the orange was restricted to the first line, under the rim.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »

May be a bit too colourful for our liking but you have got an amazing finish especially the depth of the shine
       inside the bowl.... It is however one of the best examples of the use of Jo Sonja paints we have seen Gary.
       Kind Regards di Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 04:42:30 PM »
My opinion also is overdone , But thats just my opinion

A narrow band ( Less is more ) would be lovely

Thanks for displaying your work  :)

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
Many thanks all for the comments so far, yes it is a bit busy, but it does look better up close and personal.  Not to everyone's taste I know but hey, it's good to be different.
Best Regards

Gary

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 07:30:01 PM »
Busy and Loud are the first things that come to mind.

There is one effect too many I think, either the spun effect from the centre area or the outer rim of you Galactic Clouds effect.

But I can certainly see it appealing to some one as a dramatic centerpiece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »
I am going to be different to the others and say I like it. Colourful, busy and effective. I would have preferred the orange/red flow out to be more even, there is a section with very little flow out, but that is the random nature of that technique. Well done  for challenging our thoughts. Malcolm.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:37:17 PM »
For me the outer rim colour just takes it too far I like the effect of the centre being the cloud remaining from an explosion and the red being force moving away from it.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »
For me, the whole thing doesn't work at all. I do like the shape of the bowl and your finish is superb, but the colours are all just a bit too much. I especially think that the rim and outside does not go well at all with the inside of the bowl. To me this looks like somebody had so much fun with their new colouring kit, they couldn't figure out when to stop. Sorry, just my opinion.

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 10:53:21 PM »
Many thanks for all the comments, even if the majority are not in favour of this piece your comments are most welcome. Looks like it's a bit too busy for most on this site. It just goes to show the differing tastes on either side of the pond as the reactions were very different across the water. Each to their own. As I am this side of the water looks like I may have to tone it down a bit from now on,lol

Best Regards

Gary

Offline Grethron

• iron
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »
I'm not usually a big fan of painted wood as I prefer seeing the grain patterns. This though I love.

It's gonna sound weird but it reminds me of my wife's eyes (the outer rim colour anyway)

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 07:44:01 AM »
Wheres the wood ?
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »
Wheres the wood ?

Under the paint!

Not to my taste either but that's kinda irrelevant really.  It's clearly very well done with a great finish.  It's really good to see you pushing on and trying new things, so many find one successful formula and stick rigidly to it.  This sort of innovative work is what keeps things moving.  Personally I'm still all about the wood, I've been told I'll get over that, but no sign of it so far  ;D ;D  The US tends to like art bigger and brasher (that's not meant in a derogatory sense) so it's no surprise they take to this more than the traditionally more conservative europeans.

Keep at it and I look forward to seeing where you go next.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
"under the wood"

So, ChrisF - how do you know its wood?
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying