Author Topic: Coloured Sycamore bowl  (Read 4462 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Coloured Sycamore bowl
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »
There are some very nice effects here but too many of them.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
So, ChrisF - how do you know its wood?

Two main reasons are because that is what Gary does and because it says so in the title.   ::) ::)

Or to be serious....

I imagine that 'in the flesh' it'd be obvious from the look and the feel.  It's very unlikely to be ceramic (the shape most likely wouldn't work)....I suppose it could be plastic, or even metal.....

.....but....

So what?  It's a decorative object.  Woodturning is a major part of the process used in creating it.  Why is it necessary to be able to see the wood for it to be a worthy piece?  As I've already said, I'm not personally a fan of fully painted pieces, and with full respect to Gary it's not a piece I'd want on my mantlepiece, but I can fully appreciate the technique, skill and creativity that has gone into making it.

I've got some lovely ceramic pieces at home that could be ceramic, glass or even metal if viewed at a distance.  The initial impression though is not dependent on the base material - knowledge of the base material and from there the processes used to make it, and the difficulty of those processes, can and do add to the overall appreciation of the piece, but ultimately it's the aesthetic (and sometimes tactile) appeal that counts, at least in the first instance.

Well you did ask  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »
You do know I wasn’t being serious, right?

I am aware that wood can be used as a canvas for other techniques, but thank you anyway. :)
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 12:32:43 PM »
Chris, In general I fully support what you are saying, and I am not shy on decorations and colour on my own pieces. I just think he went over board. There's no overarching theme that binds the various decorations together, in fact the rim and inside of the bowl do actually clash quite badly (in my eyes).
So, whilst I appreciate the skill and workmanship, the overall aesthetic effect on me is not pleasing. And that's got nothing to do with the canvas.

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
There are some very nice effects here but too many of them.

Regards George
Many thanks for the comments George, much appreciated as usual. Yes, perhaps I have gone over the top (in a few peoples eyes) on this one.
It's good to see so much discussion on this one, and everyone is entitled to they're opinion as you know as we all like different things.
It certainly looks like there is a big difference in tastes either side of the continent by all the remarks.
A big thank you to everyone else who has commented no matter whether you like it or not.
This is a piece of wood with very little, or no character to it what so ever hence the amount of colour I have added.You can actually see about the only bit of grain in the blue but doesn't show well on the photo.
Now whether you like the bare wood( yes I do 😊) effect or any embellishment, whether it be colour,carving or anything else the whole part(I think) of woodturning is using the wood as your main canvas for a finished result whatever that may involve.
 So once again, many thanks for all the comments and nice to see so much discussion on this. Yes this may be to busy for some but there are also many who like it, me included. The Mai point is that I had fun doing it and trying out a few ideas. A great master is not made over night and has several failures, even when established that some will like and some won't. I keep trying and as a hobby turner I enjoy all the good and the bad on my way up the ladder of success.
Best regards
Gary