Author Topic: UKIWS - information being announced  (Read 7225 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
UKIWS - information being announced
« on: January 16, 2016, 12:24:47 AM »
I've  received  a message today about the demonstrators at the UK&I Woodturning Symposium

I  don't know how much the demonstrator are being paid (and I  have NOT been able to find the price for attending these private demonstrations)and  I  appreciate that they will have expenses in terms of venue hire, et hoc genus omnebut the whole event is  beginning to look like a profit-making exercise for the organisers.

Possibly this confirms that I'm  a cynic

MC

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: UKIWS - information being announced
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 06:30:50 AM »
MCB

Any profits from this event are going to charity which they will be announcing in the near future I'm told.

Ed

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 08:14:50 AM »
Might be worth reading the website ukiws Investing in the future .

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 08:20:21 AM »
I must admit I was puzzled. Advance booking for those on the mailing list at a reduced price but no price to be found.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »
I must admit I was puzzled. Advance booking for those on the mailing list at a reduced price but no price to be found.

I  suspected it was me being unable to find something obvious!

MCB

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »
I've  received  a message today about the demonstrators at the UK&I Woodturning Symposium

I  don't know how much the demonstrator are being paid (and I  have NOT been able to find the price for attending these private demonstrations)and  I  appreciate that they will have expenses in terms of venue hire, et hoc genus omnebut the whole event is  beginning to look like a profit-making exercise for the organisers.

Possibly this confirms that I'm  a cynic

MC
Why would you want to know if the demonstrators are being paid and if so how much? It is none of your business. It is obvious you have not read the website and even though you have not bothered to educate your self on the facts you are quite happy to jump to conclusions. The organisers of UKIWS are organising a symposium for people like you to attend, if you attend Yandles or Harrogate do you ask the same questions? At least they have got off of their backside and done something!!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 08:55:33 AM »
Why would you want to know if the demonstrators are being paid and if so how much? It is none of your business. It is obvious you have not read the website and even though you have not bothered to educate your self on the facts you are quite happy to jump to conclusions. The organisers of UKIWS are organising a symposium for people like you to attend, if you attend Yandles or Harrogate do you ask the same questions? At least they have got off of their backside and done something!!

Well said, John......even the most cursory glance at UKIWS web site will reveal that this is a non-profit making venture. I quote, "The remaining funds (in a scheme yet to be finalised) will be invested back into worthwhile causes that pro-actively support and promote woodturning to a wider community of all ages and abilities."....ok, this is an excerpt and not the whole story, but for goodness sake, those of you who doubt it, read the whole story.....it'll take you all of 2 minutes!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »
Well said John and Les

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:19 AM »
I think it says all that needs to be said in their heading page,quote "we operate as a non - profit organization"
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 05:36:29 PM »
However I don't think it says anything about the surplus funds being given to any charity (unless there's something they haven't let on yet?), just that they are operating it as not for profit, which isn't quite the same thing.

I think the masterclasses are £15 or £20 each, depending on who's demonstrating.

Unfortunately I think I will be in at least two other places at once that weekend otherwise I might have gone along just to barrack Mr BHT! :P

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »

I might have gone along just to barrack Mr BHT! :P

Do you want me to deputise for you Paul ?
<ducking>
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline MSabanSmith

• iron
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 12:31:23 PM »
Hi everyone.

Interesting thread this one. I've resisted replying to comments and threads about the symposium myself, Mike and Steve are organising in June but feel that I need to say something now.

Firstly, we are extremely pleased that the AWGB will be taking part in the event (which has not been announced publicly yet, by the way). We are grateful for their support and that of AWGB members who are already booked up and supporting the event through their social circles and clubs.

Also, myself, Mike and Steve are putting on the event for the good of woodturning and absolutely NOT for profit. There is a page on the site that gives as many details as we can give at the moment about what our intentions are regarding any surplus funds after the event closes. These are namely grant-giving or donating to an existing scheme that encourages woodturning across all ages. That is all I can say about it until we have fully decided what we are doing.

Discounts for early booking of the entry tickets were published a couple of months ago and there has been no mention of discounts on the Master Class tickets - because there are no discounts for them. They were released to the mailing list members only on Friday 15th and will be going on general sale this evening (18th Jan).

The event has already sold virtually 50% of the allocated entry tickets and the master class tickets have been going well over the weekend. We have great sponsors and a growing trade attendance too - to all of whom, we are grateful for their support in what will be a superb, fun and informal weekend.

If you have any queries at all about UKIWS, then please do contact me before posting ill-informed posts here or on social media. I'm happy to help and to answer any queries you may have.

Many thanks, and I look forward to seeing you in June if you are coming.

Martin

www.ukiws.co.uk

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 03:08:51 PM »

Hello Martin,
                  Thank you for the information I have one Question. Will the event be open to anyone who does not purchase advanced tickets.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline MSabanSmith

• iron
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
Hi John
Thanks. If there are any tickets left, they will be available on the door on both days.
Seeing as we've sold almost 50% of the tickets in less than 3 months, we are quite likely to sell out. We have a max capacity of 400 people per day.
To use a cliché,  book now to avoid disappointment.
We'll be ramping up the publicity soon as we've only gone through social media so far...so there'll be more coverage to those who 'don't do' social media!
Hope that helps,
Martin