Author Topic: Cradle  (Read 5684 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Cradle
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »
This was one of the pieces I brought to the seminar. Some of the inspiration for it is (again) from Cindy Drozda's work, and some is my own. All sycamore, with some highly diluted textile dye, which brings out all the various colours in the wood (which had some figure to start with). The edges are finished with gold paint, and the whole piece has a few layers of hand painted acrylic lacquer, and I have intentionally not burnished out all the bristle strokes, to give a more natural feel.
Technically this is a box (it holds about 10cl), but obviously that aspect is rather ancillary.

I did struggle with the lighting on these pictures, and the colours look a lot more vivid in reality. Not sure how to overcome this. Maybe I should try a completely black or slate background.
All C&C welcome.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Cradle
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 08:33:14 PM »
Not to my taste but a good effort.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
i like everything about it except that finial tip.

it looks like you forgot to part off.

just my opinion though.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:14 PM »
George: I know these flowery, almost whimsical things are not for you. But then, the world would be a sad place if we all liked the same things.
Steve: Thanks. I did actually make several finials for this piece, and in the end still liked the first one the most. Finial tips are tricky. There are not that many design options, and I thought I try something a little different.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »
Fuzzy I like this one. I don't rememeber seeing it at the seminar though. If it wre my piece I would drill the top of the finial and put a small piece of the base colour in.
Other than that I really do like it, different.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 06:32:30 AM »
Like BHT I don't remember seeing this at the seminar, but then I keep seeing photos thinking I don't remember that, there was just so much in one room and so little time to fit it all in.

I like the idea of the the wings gently turning downwards. I'm not mad keen on the finial but that all down to personal taste when you make things like this, and as someone said to me once you only need one person who's willing to buy it to love it  :)

At the seminar Paul was using a graduated sheet which was a blue toned black down to white as the backdrop for the pieces that he was taking pictures of might be worth a try.

All the best

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »
There's a picture on the daniel collection site, on this page: http://www.awgbseminar.co.uk/2015/Loughborough2015S.htm (I couldn't get the picture, they are using some funky javascript to protect them against downloads).
It's actually a much better quality picture than mine, as it shows the colours a lot better, and is also less fuzzy (couldn't resist that).

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
I really like this and the slightly different angle the Daniels collection photo was taken from helps a lot.
 I can definitely see the waterfall  influence of Cindy Drozda there but the double layering and different shape is, to my mind, a good extension of the idea.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
I get to see one of your other pieces Thursday "the Flame within" as I will be unpacking some of the exhibits for the Trowbridge exhibition. Looking forward to that.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
would look better if it was pierced to get more light to the middle and make it less heavy looking,just my personal opinion mind,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 08:11:35 PM »
The tip of the finial loses it slightly but otherwise this is a great piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »
Well, now that so many people are mentioning this, I am starting think that maybe I should take the very tip off and rather have slight indent in there and then glue a real pearl into that. That should work. The only thing is if it doesn't work, I am stuck (finial is glued to the lid). I will have to ponder this for a while.

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 06:52:42 AM »
Well, now that so many people are mentioning this, I am starting think that maybe I should take the very tip off and rather have slight indent in there and then glue a real pearl into that. That should work. The only thing is if it doesn't work, I am stuck (finial is glued to the lid). I will have to ponder this for a while.
Ooh I like that idea. Something I did on one of my pieces was turn a delicate finial and glue a Swarovski crystal to the tip. Looked quite nice.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 09:25:18 AM »
When I use thibngs like crystals, pearls etc  always attach with hot glue first and leave to see whether it works. That way if it doesn't I can get it off easily and try something different. There are loads of different types of semi precious stones as well as ceramic and hand blown glass ones that you can use this way. I permanently attach with a silver pin through the beads as it gives a better contatct and adhesion point when doing it permanently.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities