Author Topic: A bit of Olive  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
A bit of Olive
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:20:57 PM »
I haven't posted anything for a while so here is a bit of Olive wood I have been playing with. Main body is 3mm thick. Overall height about 8 inches.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:24:56 PM by Graham »
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: A bit of Olive
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »
Hi Graham

good to see you posting some more work. Not an easy project as there is a lot going on with this sort of turning, for me I would like to see more definition of the detail so to separate the parts that make up the whole, such as the base into the stem then into the bowl section. Also if the lid was to sit down in/be a slightly lower profile then it is this would give it a softer look at the point where the bowl section meets the lid and then travels up into the finial. The finish is great and I like the finial design as it reminds me somewhat of a stuppa (so I am biased  :) Thanks for sharing and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.  

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:37:21 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »
I would like to be more positive about this but to me it just looks crude and I would have no idea of how to refine it.
Maybe you need to think more about the shape and less about the thickness.

Regards George
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:28:14 PM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »
The dead straight stem spoils it a bit,. As no doubnt you are finding out, the turning part is comparatively easy compared to getting the shape etc right. When I was at Marks I was very encouraged to see a fire pit full of off casts so don't get disheartened LOL.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 06:33:56 PM »
Let me try and give you some detailed feedback, as I see it. Others will then have a chance to agree or disagree.
Let's start with the foot:
1) I think the diameter of the foot is OK, but the rise towards the stem is too steep and also has no curve.
2) the stem is a little on the thick side (but not much)
3) The bottom part of the bowl/box/form is UK, but on the picture it looks like the curve has a bit of corner in it about a third of the way up from the stem.
4) The top is where the real problem is. The very top is flat. This could be a design decision, but the curve where it goes around towards the vertical part of the shape is just totally undecided. It's neither smooth flowing, nor is it sharp(ish) corner. And that really spoils a lot of it.
5) The lid is also flat. Again, could be a design decision, but it's too thick to look elegant, and its corners have been rounded off (probably by sanding). If you want it flat, make it thinner, and make sure the 90 degreee corner is precisely that, with only the sharpest edge taken off with a 400 or 600 grit.
6) The finial: In general just too many straight lines. Having said that, it could work if they were all really straight, and somehow symmetrical or aligned, but they are not. I think the biggest bummer is the change in direction of the straight line about a third of the way up on the onion part of the finial. At the very top the small little bud looks OK, but the curve towards the top seems interrupted, and the curve at the bottom is definitely interrupted.
7) The straight grooves were probably made with a parting tool, and in my opinion that really only looks good on a honey dripper.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand how much work has already gone into this, and I do appreciate it. I'd like to say to you that in terms of actual work there are small changes here that would make all the difference. Some of them could still be done, some depend on whether you have enough material left (3mm is probably too thin)  and whether the two pieces can still be mounted in some manner without breaking them. Apologies if this all sounds harsh, but I believe honest and detailed critique will be worth more than not saying anything.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
contrary to other views i have to say that i quite like it. nice one...

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »
Graham,
Put a price on it and bring it (and other pieces) along on Saturday.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 03:10:37 PM »
  Hi Graham ....That's a lovely piece of olive.....   Think if the lid was more flush to the top  it would give a different look to the piece,
  however it would not have been the easiest of forms for you to produce with your vision problem. Well turned & Finished
           So we take our hats off to you
  Kindest Regards
  Di & Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »
Thanks guys. I did have reservations and thought it looked a bit chunky ( thats probably why I mentioned the thickness ) and I agree entirely about the lid being to thick.
There are a couple of firsts here for me though. This is the first time I have managed to hollow out thinly with equal thickness and smoothness and the first time I have been able to do an intricate finial. Modern technology is wonderful, I have rigged up a video camera over the lathe and a TV screen close up behind it so I can see the small bits and tool positioning hugely enlarged while I am turning them. There is a learning curve but works brilliantly.

Dave - It has already gone. SWMBO ordered it for a friends birthday. :)
Regards
Graham

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 05:09:03 PM »
I apologise for some of my critique, I did not realize that you have trouble with your eyesight.
I do applaud you for your setup, that shows determination! I personally also have eyes that aren't as good as they used to be, and I use one of these magnifiers on a head band (similar to the ones you can see on Mark Sanger's head on the picture in his garden), and that works a charm for me. It must be difficult to coordinate your arm movements when the head is pointing in a completely different direction (i.e. looking at the screen).

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
In that case Graham, just bring lots of other pieces!

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
I apologise for some of my critique, I did not realize that you have trouble with your eyesight.
I do applaud you for your setup, that shows determination! I personally also have eyes that aren't as good as they used to be, and I use one of these magnifiers on a head band (similar to the ones you can see on Mark Sanger's head on the picture in his garden), and that works a charm for me. It must be difficult to coordinate your arm movements when the head is pointing in a completely different direction (i.e. looking at the screen).

No need to apologise, the critique is valid regardless of my level of vision and I wouldn't have mentioned it if Georg hadn't already done so. :)
Regards
Graham

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »
Hi Graham

I make no apologies for anything I say or said as I do not ever remember you asking for special treatment because you have poor vision.
I think it is condescending for people to treat you and your work any different than the rest of us.
I am equally blunt with everybody nobody gets special treatment from me.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 06:59:01 AM »
That one nice looking piece of Olive Graham

Like the others I think that the top is a bit flat against the rest of the piece also the lid looks a bit chunky.

But the finish looks top draw  :)

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
Graham I have viewed this several times now before commenting. Although the stem is not quite right I feel it does not detract from the overall piece. What does stick out though is the finial, it is not a flowing shape and there appears to be a slight bump on it, that could be sorted out on future pieces by using the skew to smooth things out. The other thing is at the bottom of the finial, I like the shapes you have turned here but again feel that the shape should flow through rather than have bits of largely differing sizes.
Otherwise I think you have done a good job, nice finish too and I can see you getting more orders.