Author Topic: Cherry Tree  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Cherry Tree
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
Today I acquired a fifty year old Cherry tree off my daughter,the roots were trying to get under the foundations,so she had it cut down,took to runs in the car to fetch it all to my place,with the back of the car quite low,handled ok but stopping it was like having a caravan on the back,you needed alot more breaking distance,the 2 trunk pieces were to heavy for one person to lift as they are around 18-20 ins across and a couple of limbs were to,so looks like I`ll be turning Cherry for awhile.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Cherry Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
Was that turning cherry for a while or turning cherry in a while ? :)

Are you going to turn it wet Eric ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »
haha,woodturning cherry,yes will be turning it wet/green,but will probably be seasoned by the time I get to the last of it.

andersonec

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Today I acquired a fifty year old Cherry tree off my daughter,the roots were trying to get under the foundations,so she had it cut down,took to runs in the car to fetch it all to my place,with the back of the car quite low,handled ok but stopping it was like having a caravan on the back,you needed alot more breaking distance,the 2 trunk pieces were to heavy for one person to lift as they are around 18-20 ins across and a couple of limbs were to,so looks like I`ll be turning Cherry for awhile.

Just a word of warning.

Trees withing 7 meters of a house cause movement in the foundations by removing moisture from the soil, not by roots interfering with foundations, and a mature tree can use hundreds of gallons a day, cutting down a tree that close to foundations will stop the moisture being removed and the resulting mass of moisture will have to find a new route of escape, in the meantime this excess moisture (not the tree roots) could cause movement of your foundations  this is even more likely to happen with clay soils where the soil is more slippery and the reason foundations in clay have to be so deep. Mature trees close to foundations should be removed slowly over a period of a few years to allow the now unused moisture to find different routes.

Andy

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
they are on sand dune based soil and the tree is 40 feet away from the house.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:54:30 PM »
That's interesting Andy I've just pick up what must be a 300 year old Yew which has just been cut down today and that must have been within 25' of the house where it was cut down. I think there could be trouble ahead.

Eric enjoy the Cherry it's one of my favorites

Ed

andersonec

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:28:48 PM »

That's interesting Andy I've just pick up what must be a 300 year old Yew which has just been cut down today and that must have been within 25' of the house where it was cut down. I think there could be trouble ahead.

Eric enjoy the Cherry it's one of my favorites

Ed

They just need to keep an eye on things, it will more than likely be fine, what I was previously talking about is a worse case scenario but conditions and size of tree play a big part, roots usually will be diverted by foundations (unless they find a hole though which they grow and then get thicker, see tree roots in footpaths) Planning authorities will not allow building close to trees for this reason, not because the tree may fall on the house, that's insurers problems.

Ed, If the stump of the Yew is still in the ground and still alive it will regrow, may take another 300 years though.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »
Andersonic,the trees were planted when the houses were built most are gone now,and I know all about the problems trees can cause before and after they are cut down,rest of family are building surveyers/arcitects