Author Topic: Bowl saver - Kelton  (Read 8474 times)

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: Bowl saver - Kelton
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »
I have a couple of sizes of the Kelton system and use it mainly on big burrs, as I didn't like it when most of it ended up on the floor.   I turn quite a few every year and it paid for itself in a few months.

A good video on how to set it up and use it is one by Dale Bonertz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS2yIb0HAU4

john

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
....I am just wondering if you would like to borrow mine, but you are some distance away. Only problem with that is mine is fitted to a 1" toolpost. What size is yours? ....

Thanks so much for that offer, it is very generous

... The Toolpost are now the Uk distributors and have dropped the prices (I think) but talk to Peter and he'll give you the latest info....

Sound advise....have just come off the phone with Peter

... You're more than welcome to come and try out both or either if it helps but I know I'm not exactly down the road from you!...

Thank you, Paul, for the advise and the offer, it is much appreciated.

...A good video on how to set it up and use it is one by Dale Bonertz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS2yIb0HAU4...

Thanks, John...will check that out this evening

Many, many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread today. It certainly speaks volumes for the benefits of this forum and for the generosity of so many of its members. After reading all the comments, I spoke to Peter at Toolpost and have ordered one. I'll practice on staright grained ash and then give the more expensive lumps of burr a go when I feel proficient  at using it.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:46 PM »
Good luck with it Les I'm sure you will soon have it mastered  :)

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 06:43:37 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Les.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

GREEN MAN

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 06:45:04 PM »
Hello Les

I would echo all the comments of the versatility of this system compared to the woodcut or oneway bowl savers.  The only thing I would add is to make the entrance hole wider at the start of the cut (by going in several times at different angles).  This makes it easier to get all the shavings out.

Like Mark suggests I would also slacken the drive belt - I had a blade get stuck in the cut with the shavings, it brought the bowl to a stop and I had smoke coming off my belt and pulleys before I could hit the stop button!

I have the Mike Mahoney DVD on the 'McNaughton Centre Saver' which is an excellent guide to getting the most out of this system.  If you would like to borrow it, send me your details and I will pop it in the post for you.

Kind regards

David

Ps I've just had another thought - with the size of those burrs you mentioned, I don't think you will be able to use the system off the side of your lathe (with the rotating headstock).  You need to insert the system in the tool post and be able to move the banjo quite frequently.

GREEN MAN

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »
I'll take your 'no comment' on the above offer as a no then Les  :)

Just trying to fit in and be helpful around here!  :)

Kind regards

David

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 06:09:52 AM »
I'll take your 'no comment' on the above offer as a no then Les  :)

Just trying to fit in and be helpful around here!  :)

Kind regards

David
Hi David....my apologies if my lack of response gave the impression of indifference. It had more to do with the fact that I took the decision to order the bowl saver, and thus wasn't checking this thread. Furthermore, things have been frantic here, getting a few commissions out of the way so that I can find time to play with the new toy, so I've had little time since Monday to keep up with the forum. However, having taken delivery of the bowl saver, I can see that I'm going to need to practice on something rather less valuable than the lumps of burr that I've got, and I can assure you that I appreciate your offer and would like to accept it.
I'll pm you with details, and thanks again for the offer.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.