Author Topic: Sculpture  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Sculpture
« on: April 15, 2015, 03:32:07 PM »
So is it art or craft  :) :) :) :) :),

personally I don't care but hopefully I can call it a sculpture :) :)

It is was made some time ago and has been sat on the shelf waiting for the base to be glued and a final coat of lacquer to be added. It was turned from sycamore and sprayed with automotive paint. It is a free form sculpture without directly representing any particular item. My favorite type of sculpture is free form and minimalist, tactile to the touch and soft on the eye. Some people have told me it looks like a ballerina's foot, another a whales bone as I say it is not of anything in particular just a minimalist free form. Oh the picture was a nightmare to take but hopefully you can see it clearly. Don't think I have posted this before in its earlier stages.

It stands around 300 mm high including the stand.

C&C welcome as ever.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:34:52 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Sculpture
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 03:41:01 PM »
Personal opinion: It's art. Obviously it is a sculptural form (and a lovely one at that) and if it were in a material other than wood it would have no problem being considered as such. As I remember you have done a few in this sort of style Mark. If it is a new direction for you then please keep it up as they are definitely 'works of art'

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »
Thanks Pete

It is indeed a new groups of pieces I have been meaning to make, as I say though this one was pretty much finished some time ago, but am doing some more sculptural pieces at the moment as well as my other bowls and hollow forms etc. If I get chance I will try to take a few quick pics of them part finished.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »
Humbug....it's a golf club.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 04:10:42 PM »
Humbug....it's a golf club.
Les

:) :) and for you Les i'll make it a wedge  :) :) :)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »
Here are a few others I am working on, the first is similar to one I did some time ago in an article. Oak around 300 mm excluding the plinth which in this case is just a piece of wood I have stuck it into for the picture. The basic form is turned then sections are cut out, various burrs and carving tools are then use to shape the various parts, followed by hours of hand sanding. If you ware wondering how long they take then the first/simple form takes about a day in total, upwards depending upon size etc

another

This the second variation on the theme.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
Art Art Art but made from wood  :)

I hope that you are going to do this sort of thing when you do the master class for the Garden of England in October......

Guess what I'm going to be one of your class I promise to bring the teacher an apple  :)

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
Very nice work Mark.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 12:37:49 AM »

??? .... Art .. Lacks any function as a wood form ..

First image, Abbotsbury and Swannery.. Lower image of the 2 .. Banana Boat ..

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »
looking at the first picture to me it does not resemble anything, which to me is a good thing as this then is a new image for me to visually explore. And I like this one a great deal Mark. The first Oak piece looks to me like a sling shot, a little larger than normal though. Not too keen on the other one. So to answer the question "is it art?" well if it stirred up the feelings that I get when I do view art then I think it is art. And it stirred up those feelings.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
Art Art Art but made from wood  :)

I hope that you are going to do this sort of thing when you do the master class for the Garden of England in October......

Guess what I'm going to be one of your class I promise to bring the teacher an apple  :)

Ed

Hi Ed

Certainly cutting up and adding forms will be included. An apple sounds nice as long as it is a nice English one  :)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »
Hi Dave and John

Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »

We think it is Sculptural Art Piece Mark.    The first one has such elegance ...... and very calming to view.

The last one brings to mind a boat... sort of canoe type thingy  :) :) ..... Then no its a coconut cut in half. ;D ;D ;D
    Seriously it has great potential all it needs is your flair in its completion.
       Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 08:29:56 PM »
Mark,

I want to comment, but can't.

I look and it makes me, not see, not think of something but I can feel its, its, its. Yes it's something but I can't put my finger on it.

Art is supposed to make you feel, so it must be art...

More when (if) the feeling materialises into something I can describe.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
Hi Tony and Di

Thank you for your comments. It is always interesting what people see in pieces, John saw a sling shot in the second piece, a mate in Australia who is an ex wooden top like myself reckons it looks like a Tazer when the wires shoot out the end.  You see a boat and coconut cut in half in the second and David saw a Banana boat, I see it now it has been highlighted but eventual it is intended it will be a take on the all seeing eye. But if I gt bored of it it may well just end up keeping us all warm one summers evening in the chiminea.

Bryan

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate it.