Author Topic: Spalted Sycamore hollow form  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Spalted Sycamore hollow form
« on: February 26, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
Hi all

This HF is around 150 mm dia x 100 mm high. It was my luck to find some of this at the sawyers I get my wood from, it was a little punky so I turned the form leaving slightly over size, soaked it over night in cellulose sanding sealer (thinned) allowed to dry for a few days while I got on with some other pieces, then it was finished.

comments welcome

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Spalted Sycamore hollow form
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »
Hi Mark....this is one field of woodturning that I'm still yet to break into, and it's safe to say that I'm in awe of the skills that it takes. Every now and then I make a slightly enclosed form and am reducing the collar width a little at each time, bit I find it hard going.

Lovely piece of wood and photographed from just the right angle....flowing curve that starts and ends at the neck without the slightest interruption along the way.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
I am trying to "break into" the field of hollow forms too except I have just broken out of my HF today.

Lovely wood, Mark, and I too am in awe of the skill in executing this shape with its relatively narrow hole yet broad neck.

Off to the workshop to execute another piece!

#admiration

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
Thank you both very much.

When I started turning hollow forms were the form I wanted to make, like anything once you know that answer it is easy. They are not as hard as they look as long as you work methodically, take your time, and stop often to check wall thickness. Certainly I have made quite a few lamp shades in my time from cutting through the base and even bowls by cutting through the shoulder, so you do need some practice but again they are more than accessible to people even beginners and I have quite a few come to me for hollowing even after a years turning and they are surprised how much easier they found hollow to be.

Here are some more, may have posted some in the past so if I have apologies  :) all about the same size as the first one.

Sycamore

Sycamore

Spalted Beech

Spalted Ash

Thanks

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »
The hardest part I find is not the hollowing so much as getting the curve and the shape right. You have that part off to a T. Mind you most of mine have holes in them naturally LOL.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »
Gwyntog and farmerphil you could always get a copy of Marks book as it is all in there. Lovely forms Mark.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:27 PM »
Gwyntog and farmerphil you could always get a copy of Marks book as it is all in there. Lovely forms Mark.

....got that, but still need to hone some basic skills before I tackle them, I do believe.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 11:04:16 PM »
Great looking hollow forms Mark but then we would expect nothing less from a master  :)

Like the tip about soaking punky wood over night and then leaving for a few day's that gone in my note book  :) :) :)

Ed

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:13:27 AM »
Great work Mark, lovely form and finish along with wood choice mate. Les

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 02:42:24 PM »

What can we say Mark..... Spot On Really Like This Shape.
      Tony And Di

Ps Do the black lines rub off.    :)  ;D :) ;D
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Ollie

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
 :o amazing! I like the spalting. It adds something extra.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 09:56:23 PM »
I love these hollow forms, such a graceful shape.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
Nice h/f forms Mark. It is good that you included the size of the piece as sometimes it is difficult to judge from just a photo, and without a reference the size is often overestimated ( insert smutty comment here ;). If turners want to have a go at making pieces like yours they should start small with a more upright shape and gradually reduce the size of opening until they have understood the technique. Making your own tools from old screwdrivers and the like means you are not spending on new tools ( resist,resist :) and you are not worried about damaging anything valuable. When I started making h/f's in the early 90's I made several hollowing tools from 12mm round steel bar with 4.5mm ground HSS drill shanks epoxied in at different angles just to see what I could achieve and I still use them on small pieces today.
If I could play devils advocate for a moment, your previous piece was textured to make it more stone-like in appearance. What do turners think about obscuring or at least disguising the fact that the piece is made of wood? I ask because a well known turner of my aquantance sold a piece in the States in a Gallery, and was on hand when the customer was buying it. Until it was pointed out that the item was wood, the buyer thought because of its appearance,that he was purchasing a ceramic vessel.I would be interested to know what other turners think.
ps nice how to make h/f book Mark.     
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »
Not sure about these Mark, can't see any holes or splits.....just kidding. They are as
gorgeous as we expect from you.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
 Alan Thomas RPT  ....... I have seen ceramic work made to look like wood , with bark style natural edge !!  could be some very confused customers .... Terry ..