Author Topic: Spalted Sycamore hollow form  (Read 6546 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Spalted Sycamore hollow form
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:27 AM »
Hi all

Thank your kind comments, they are much appreciated. Apologies for not replying till now have been rushing about so not much time.

Alan

Thank you very much ref the forms and book, much appreciated and it is good to hear from you.

Reference disguising wood for me the answer is in what you wrote 'the customer was buying it'.  From my personal experience people that buy my work are never woodturners and rarely am I asked about the production process, they either love the piece and want to buy it or they don't.

Also I have found that the carved, textured, colour sculptural pieces are more readily sold for a price positively reflecting the work put in, where as pure wood turned items don't receive the same attention or price, especially if they are bowls or other utility shaped items.

Of course this is only my experience from selling in mixed media and pure wood galleries as well as direct.

:) :) so in short the more sculptural pieces are where I am tending to go now :) :) although I love natural pure forms so I enjoy making both processes for different markets.

To me wood is a medium I can manipulate and if I stayed with pure wood I would restrict the possibilities open to me.

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »
Hi Mark
I agree with you about the price a coloured or carved/pierced can command, I sell a lot more of this kind of work.Also it is usually the ladies who appreciate the colour and the amount of work that goes into them and they are the largest buyers of my work by a long way.   
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
Hi Mark
I agree with you about the price a coloured or carved/pierced can command, I sell a lot more of this kind of work.Also it is usually the ladies who appreciate the colour and the amount of work that goes into them and they are the largest buyers of my work by a long way.   

funny you should say that, ladies have always been my biggest by far customer group too. In fact I think I sold one piece last year to a gent, mind you it was a good sale so I am not complaining, but then men are my largest section for teaching, although I also teach quite a few retired lady professionals, so it is swings and roundabouts I guess. 

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 06:09:35 PM »
I have taught a few female students.Initially if they have no experience of turning they think that it is somehow a trial of strength,and this may put off some women.Once they understand the basics most of my female students seem to progress quicker than the men because they are not concerned with the mechanics of the tools but just with what each tool is capable of.
Going back to buyers of woodturning, I find that if a man buys something from me it is usually to give to a lady ;D!
Good luck at the Bovey show, if I am able to visit I will come and heckle ;)
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Mike Gibson

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
Mark,

You nailed the form on this one, great job.  Michael

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »
I have taught a few female students.Initially if they have no experience of turning they think that it is somehow a trial of strength,and this may put off some women.Once they understand the basics most of my female students seem to progress quicker than the men because they are not concerned with the mechanics of the tools but just with what each tool is capable of.
Going back to buyers of woodturning, I find that if a man buys something from me it is usually to give to a lady ;D!
Good luck at the Bovey show, if I am able to visit I will come and heckle ;)

Thank you, I hope to see you there.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
Mark,

You nailed the form on this one, great job.  Michael

Thank you very much, I enjoy turning these forms very much.