Author Topic: Dust extraction - HVLP or HPLV?  (Read 14842 times)

Gizmo3k

Dust extraction - HVLP or HPLV?
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »
Hi,

I am starting to look at some dust extraction to try and limit the dust floating around my garage. Currently I am using a 3m face mask which is great, but I need something more.

I am not sure if I want to be looking at High Volume Low Pressure systems, or High Pressure Low Volume.

Obviously I want it to gather as much dust as possible, I would also like to attach another hose to hoover up the chips and shavings easily. Someday I may get a bandsaw, so will want to plumb that in too.

At some point I also hope to get an air filteration system to catch (most of) the rest of the dust, but that might be a while away.

Any advice appreciated!

Alan

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Dust extraction - HVLP or HPLV?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
This probably won't go down well, but here goes.... :)
I have a workshop a little bigger than single garage size but not much. I have a camvac double motor extractor hooked up to a centralised pipework with blast gates for bandsaw, mitre saw, pedestal drill, disc sander, router table and over bench outlet for small power tools etc. I have another single motor Camvac dedicated to the lathe and a micro clean filter that I can move around as wanted. ( plus a trend air shield  but that is not relevant here )
That all sounds good doesn't it..... my workshop is still deep in dust. It is in the air and settles our eventually.
What does help, a lot  ( as an extra, not instead of the above ) is a big extractor fan replacing one of the windows. I frequently turn that on an then intensionally disturb all the dust with a blower before beating a hasty retreat while the extractor sucks it all out. 
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Gizmo3k

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
This probably won't go down well, but here goes.... :)
I have a workshop a little bigger than single garage size but not much. I have a camvac double motor extractor hooked up to a centralised pipework with blast gates for bandsaw, mitre saw, pedestal drill, disc sander, router table and over bench outlet for small power tools etc. I have another single motor Camvac dedicated to the lathe and a micro clean filter that I can move around as wanted. ( plus a trend air shield  but that is not relevant here )
That all sounds good doesn't it..... my workshop is still deep in dust. It is in the air and settles our eventually.
What does help, a lot  ( as an extra, not instead of the above ) is a big extractor fan replacing one of the windows. I frequently turn that on an then intensionally disturb all the dust with a blower before beating a hasty retreat while the extractor sucks it all out. 

:(

Unfortunately, I don't have any windows in the garage (integrated with the house). My main problem is the garage is also used for storage for various wife related things, and I don't want her getting too annoyed!

I may invest in a large pedestal fan and a compressor so I can blow the surface dust out the door (wearing appropriate protection of course), but anything I can do to reduce the issue should help!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »
Hi Alan  --  Graham has suggested one method that works well and as said you will probably never catch all the dust that comes from working with wood but I use an old Double Bag chip extractor and that catches most of it. You may wish to invest in an airborne filter as well for the finer dust. The CamVac is really very good but it is very noisy as it uses a brush motor or two. I think it depends on how much you have to spend on keeping yourself well & healthy.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:46:05 PM »
go for high velocity if you can as the faster you suck up the air the faster you can clean it (in theory.).

as in my cyclone thread i've just bought a biggie and will hook it up to my axminster hobby extractor and it will drop in to a wheelie bin.

in theory the cyclone should not let any dust get to the cloth bag so it cant go through the cloth and get back in to the air for us to breath in but i'm yet top test this as it's not all hooked up.

the only cause of dust for me will be sanding on the lathe (i will get a hood at some point) or from the rip saw or chop saw i have in the shop. if i do large amounts on either i'll start using the hose on them.

i'll let everyone know if the dust layer stays away once i have this device rigged up .

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
Alan

I've just installed a full system in to my workshop, I have a jet airborne filter running when I'm working in the shop all the time and when I leave the workshop I leave it running on timer which is a great feature. But on it's own it's not enough so I've just invested in a complete system run in 6" tube but the bigger the better.

I went for the Axminster cyclone trade extractor which you can see the dust being sucked away when sanding on the lathe. I'm more than pleased with the overall system now it's up and running.
I have a blank over the workbench which I have various adaptors for so I can add pipe to suit the rest of my tools and clean up the floor if I want.

Ed

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:10:13 AM by edbanger »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
that's the sort of system i'll have one day if i can get the money.

how well does the cyclone perform???

considering they call it their trade version it could have better air flow in my opinion.

i looked at those from axminster when i bought their hobby one and realised that the big expensive ones didn't suck much more than the hobby.

i bought the hobby fm300bc with 2000m3per hour air flow. the trade cyclone you bought only has 1100m3 per hour yet is 3 times the price.

although i know nothing about the company this machine impressed me and may get it if i can find a few hundred quid as it's air flow per hour is 3900m3.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261520452685?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

does anyone else think it's a good machine?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »
I don't know the company either but i'd lay odds that it's a Chinese made, badged machine.

Look around other tool suppliers and you'll probably find it with other makers badges on it somewhere.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:07:32 AM »
My system is well balanced for the size of workshop, and I did a lot of digging as I did not want to use Axminster Tools but this cyclone unit is top dollar for the price. Not having cloth bags the dust stays where it's need's too and that's i  the bags.

I would recommend this cyclone unit to anyone who wants a decent   extraction system.

Ed

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 12:51:20 AM »
I don't know the company either but i'd lay odds that it's a Chinese made, badged machine.

Look around other tool suppliers and you'll probably find it with other makers badges on it somewhere.

not many gadgets aren't chinese made these days, my jet 3520b is but its a good machine

i can find similar designs for this extractor but none have the flow of this thing.

nice set up by the way ed...