Author Topic: Dust Extractors  (Read 6809 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Dust Extractors
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
I was all set this week to buy the Axminster cyclone dust extractor and a 150mm steel duct system for my workshop, due to the extremely poor service that I've received for Axminster Tools I had to cancel that order and I will never spend another penny with them again.

With that being said as anyone got a full extraction system in their workshop? if so could you point me in the right direction, my workshop is around 17' x 17' and I want to duct 4 machines and have a 5th point for ducting portable tools.

Thanks for any help

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Dust Extractors
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
I am very surprised to hear you have had poor service from Axminster tools I have dealt with them for about 12 years and always found them to be very helpful.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
I  have used Axminster for approx 20 years , in fact 95% of my turning equipment has come from them and I think they are great .....I also used to deliver to them in a lorry and they are good to deal with ( unload no fuss / delay )  and that says a lot to me about a place if you are treated well when you are not a paying customer !!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »
I'm glad to hear that they look after some customers but they have fail with me more than once !!!   

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:27:21 AM »
I'm glad to hear that they look after some customers but they have fail with me more than once !!!   

Ed, Was this dealing through the Main Axminster Store or at a Local Branch Store, which may not have all the facts or lack the training/advice.

I'd not fault what dealing I have had with them, anything not in store or out of when they had their Shows, was always mailed
promptly.

I will say as with any purchase there are/have been somethings I'd not gone to them fore, should I considered another product/supplier offered better or the same more reasonable priced.

On the note of the system and what to build, CamVac has a comprehensive range, there's 10% discount for AWGB members (paid up member, not just that you use the forum) and should you not be in a great haste, you'd see most of their setup/kit used as well at Yandles and be able to have a chat with them, may come away with a good deal, just a thought, I can spend anybodies money happily ...   ;D ..

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 07:16:21 AM »
I was dealing with one of their branches, and I would not fault the guy who served me about his product knowledge, that was good.

When I phoned to order the extractor I was dealing with the manager, they had to get a couple of bit's in Friday so I said I would collect it all next week and that where it all went wrong the extractor was in their sale which ends Sunday I was told if I could not collect it before then I would have to pay the new price, I offer to pay for the unit and collect it later but he would not let me do that. In the end he took the payment but only on the grounds that they would deliver. It should have been with me yesterday, at 4pm when it had not arrived I phoned customer service to see if it was turning up. After checking they told me 5 out of 6 boxes were going to be delivered but I would have to wait for TNT to deliver and this would be up till 6pm. Knowing that TNT don't deliver to us at work at this time I explained this, but was told that it would be with me because they had checked. 6pm came and went and no delivery.

And all this because the manager would not take the order and hold the price until I could get back there next week.

I had looked at the Camvac, but it uses a brush motor and only has a 4" connection. I wanted to run a 6" system around the workshop and I need something that I can leave on for long periods of time.

Ed

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »

Hi Ed,
       I have dealt with Axminster Power Tools for many years now both as a member of the public and as Secretary of a woodturning club.

I must say I have always found them to be excellent in both their service,delivery and technical back up and they now give 3 years warranty.

I have mostly dealt with the head office when doing an order if they have what I want in stock it is mostly delivered the next day, the branches do

not always stock every item in the catalogue but I have found if you order it there it will still be delivered asap and they do not take the money 

until the order is complete.

If the Axminster extractor is what you really want give them another chance and get what you want.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »
I was dealing with one of their branches, and I would not fault the guy who served me about his product knowledge, that was good.

When I phoned to order the extractor I was dealing with the manager, they had to get a couple of bit's in Friday so I said I would collect it all next week and that where it all went wrong the extractor was in their sale which ends Sunday I was told if I could not collect it before then I would have to pay the new price, I offer to pay for the unit and collect it later but he would not let me do that. In the end he took the payment but only on the grounds that they would deliver. It should have been with me yesterday, at 4pm when it had not arrived I phoned customer service to see if it was turning up. After checking they told me 5 out of 6 boxes were going to be delivered but I would have to wait for TNT to deliver and this would be up till 6pm. Knowing that TNT don't deliver to us at work at this time I explained this, but was told that it would be with me because they had checked. 6pm came and went and no delivery.

And all this because the manager would not take the order and hold the price until I could get back there next week.

I had looked at the Camvac, but it uses a brush motor and only has a 4" connection. I wanted to run a 6" system around the workshop and I need something that I can leave on for long periods of time.

Ed

Ed, Thank you for giving us the full course of events, very disappointing, difficult to decide which side of the chain had broken down, is it just on delivery. Shame really.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
As it happens I was in Axminster today and managed to park my lorry outside and spend some more money !!!  new tools to play with this weekend !!......  still have some cash for Yandles if I go ,and for a trip to the APF show 2 weeks later .

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »
APF show ? that is a new one on me.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
[snip].... when it had not arrived I phoned customer service to see if it was turning up. After checking they told me 5 out of 6 boxes were going to be delivered but I would have to wait for TNT to deliver and this would be up till 6pm. Knowing that TNT don't deliver to us at work at this time I explained this, but was told that it would be with me because they had checked. 6pm came and went and no delivery.
[more snip]
Ed

Ed, Thank you for giving us the full course of events, very disappointing, difficult to decide which side of the chain had broken down, is it just on delivery. Shame really.

David

In my view, courier companies are a wart on the backside of humanity.

Their people seem to believe that the folk to whom they are delivering owe them a living (rather than realising that if it wasn't for the addressees, they would  be out of work).

MC

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »
APF show ? that is a new one on me.
It is a big Forestry , Arboricultural trade fair , with axe racing, pole cimbing , chainsaw carving competitions etc as well as some milling and craft events ..... Near Alcester (Stratford upon Avon ) 18, 19 20th sept ..

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 02:20:38 PM »
sounds like fun. Cheers.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

GwilymF

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
I and most of our club have bought from Axminster for more than 12yrs and have nothing but praise for their service. Nine times out of ten it's next day delivery and if there is a problem the item can be sent back and a replacement forwarded with no quibble. A party from our club recently spent a day with them, shown around the manufacturing plan, the warehouse and given two 1hr demonstrations with nothing too much trouble. I would recommend organising a visit.
Gwilym

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:11:13 PM by GwilymF »