Author Topic: Hi from a new turner  (Read 4421 times)

Gizmo3k

Hi from a new turner
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
Morning all,

Just wanted to say hi, I have been lurking here for a while, but I finally bought myself a lathe (Delta 46-250) on Thursday,  and started trying to make square things round last night.

Everything was great, except for the starter capacitor dying a few minutes in, but fortunately a quick google informed me that I could try starting the lathe by hand, which seems to work ok (even if it is a bit scary!)

I don't really have much to say, other than I guess I will come out with some pretty silly questions, please have patience!

Alan

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Hi from a new turner
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »
Welcome. Don't think any question is silly, we have all been there at some time and however experiences we are we are all sill learning so ask away. Folk on here are very helpful and happy to give positive and constructive critique so don't be afraid to show your work either.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »
Hi Gizmo, my sentiments are those of Pete's above but spelt correctly. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:09:36 AM »
I have only been using a lathe for a few months so welcome from another newbie.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »
Hi Gizmo, my sentiments are those of Pete's above but spelt correctly. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Picky LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Gizmo3k

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:51:30 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I think it will be a while before I post any work up, last night I was just messing around with a bit of 2"/2" pine, trying to make it round. I finished off by trying to make a spinning top. Unfortunately, the first one suffered from premature parting off (note to self, don't make the spindle before finishing off the bottom), and I still haven't found it in my garage!  :o

The second one spins, but is quite rough as I don't have any sandpaper handy. The outside edge also chipped quite a bit, although I suppose that is to be expected when making a top from a spindle of soft wood!

Ordered up a new starter capacitor this morning, so hopefully that will arrive soon. Until then, I will just have to be careful!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
Hi Alan  --  Welcome from me as well, as Pete has said no question is silly if you don't know the answer. I have been turning for about 2 years now but time on the lathe outside of club is probably only a few months. Best advice I can give is to join a local club. The help and advice you will get from other turners will help you a lot and there is nothing better than for one of the experienced turners in the club to take you through something on the club lathe. Have fun but be safe.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »

Hi Alan, and likewise Welcome, not only to the Forum, but the wonders ... you've yet to find of the woodturning world, it can be said it's an 'up hill' task ... then equally the same, it can look 'down hill' as the more you spend.

You've got sound advice so far and don't fear in asking future questions, can save on running into problems, getting out of the same, wasting time and incurring unneeded expense, especially when it comes to tools, at best it's to concentrate as you are on the spindle turning and the tops, you'll get the basics for all other forms of turning.

Pine is very ideal for practicing on and given you've sharp tools .. will cut, take fine detail and finish well off the tool as a result, but above all it's time and practice which counts.

It has always been considered as a Forum, we should list a location for ourselves, we needed not be isolated, who knows who might just be next door ... so too speak, closer than a Club no doubt could be, yet a Club, as said has it's benefits all round, not just in what you can learn.

Good to read the part is ordered, soon back making shavings.  Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Gizmo3k

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »

Oh, I can still make shavings, I just have to give the workpiece/chuck a spin by hand to get it going!

I have added my location to my profile, but it isn't showing up, I will look into that  :)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »

Oh, I can still make shavings, I just have to give the workpiece/chuck a spin by hand to get it going!

I have added my location to my profile, but it isn't showing up, I will look into that  :)

Got you as West Lothian .. bit far up to be close...   >:(
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
Alan,

All the good lines have been taken,

... no silly questions,
... join a club, (have you checked the AWBG main website for the list of clubs?)
... The enjoyment you'll get and friendship that's on offer.

So I guess all that's left is for me to add my welcome as well.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
HI Gizm03k

Welcome to the wonderful world of wood turning,

Ed