Author Topic: IsoDendron - The Platter  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
IsoDendron - The Platter
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
With visits to the workshop banned for a couple of days last week (for some peculiar reason), my efforts were diverted into thinking about turning, rather than doing it. I've decided to start work on a series of pieces entitled IsoDendron....which is simply a posh (arty?) way of saying 'Wood in Balance'. I've given much thought over recent months to making vases, bowls and urns that cannot support themselves because they won't have 'flat' bottoms, so each is going to have an exo-skeletal form to support it....hence the project's name.
A few years ago I dabbled with this idea when I was doing a bit of dinghy sailing and balance was of particular relevance. I was re-painting my dinghy and looking for some Celtic symbols to represent balance in  nature, and found the ideal thing. An ancient concept, well known to our ancestral sailors, was the necessity to balance the forces of the water and of the wind. So, to appease themselves in the faces of the gods, it seems that ancient Celts painted symbols of creatures that represented these forces onto their crafts, with the sea-serpent representing the water and the greyhound representing the wind. This is quite relevant to me, as my workshop is right alongside the largest natural stretch of inland water in Wales, and frequented by many a sailor.
So here we have the 'signature' piece that heralds the start of work on the series.
This whopping platter is 20" (50cm) diameter and turned from a piece of Hungarian Poplar - which I believe is frequently marketed as Hungarian Tulipwood. It has a lot of pippy burr and a bit of spalting, and was an absolute pain in the neck to turn, due to hard little knots lying right next to soft areas of spalt. None-the-less, it stands as my first foray into the dark art of pyrography. It's had countless coats of Danish Oil, which it soaked up like a sponge, so I resorted to saturating it and putting it in the sun for the day, yesterday, then bringing it into the house to keep it warm and to help to get a surface coat of dry oil. That idea worked and today I was able to buff the front of it.

The reverse has a pyrographed title for the series, plus my name and my 'Otter Woodcraft' monogram. I've also turned a rim on the back so that I could inset a silver wire hanging loop. Sorry that the image quality isn't wonderful, but the platter is too big for my mini-portable-studio, so it had to be photographed on the lounge wall with Sal holding up a floodlight and a diffusor.

Now all that I need to do is to make the several pieces that will make up the series, and find someone to exhibit them for me!

Cheers....(and Happy New Year)....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: IsoDendron - The Platter
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
Love this, really beautiful work both the use of the wood and the decoration. Look forward to the rest of the series.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »
...there speaks a fellow Celt...cheers Pete!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

Wow .. Les, you've excelled yourself, I'd not expected this from the title, you're on too a signature piece here for sure, stunning work, well done.

Cheers   Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
Diolch Dewi....a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Les

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »

You have captured something there Les.
        The shimmer of the wood is contrasting well with
        the pyro and coloured rim.

Regards Tony and Diane
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »
        The shimmer of the wood is contrasting well with
        the pyro and coloured rim.   
       Regards Tony and Diane
Cheers, Tony & Diane....it's quite a relief to hear that. The wood was so soft in places that oil was drying instantly on it, and even soaking right through it. I spent a week feeding it and began to despair of every getting enough build-up of oil on the surface to be able to get any sort of finish. When, finally, it stopped sucking the oil in, the surface was very textured and had a gritty, dusty feel to it, so I buffed it hard, right back through Tripoli, white-wax and even on to a little carnauba to help get a light sheen onto it. I dread to think just how many hours I've given to this platter....but I don't regret it at all!

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 12:31:37 AM »
Diolch Dewi....a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Les

Mai Dduw cyfoethog chi Bless trwy gydol y flwyddyn.

Dewi

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:15 AM »
Les a beautiful piece and so well thought out too. I love it. This is testament to all the hard work you have put in to your turning, not just this piece but on the journey.
Well done!!
Regards
John BHT

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »
Cheers John (BHT)...indeed, it has been quite a journey, and one which will hopefully continue along its way for much time to come. I know I've said it before, but thanks again to all you regulars for providing the route map!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 02:22:41 PM »
Les,

this platter is striking to look at. But I think what is more important is the associated story you tell. I shows the inspiration behind it and the reason for it's 'being'.

If as you say it is to be the first of a series, make sure the story is prominently displayed alongside the work, it will make all the difference to the people viewing it with an eye to purchasing it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »

Les, well done on recognition for your outstanding achievement within your work .. http://woodturnersunlimited.com/ .. 

Cheers  Dewi

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »
Many thanks, Dewi.....diolch yn fawr iawn.

I was tickled pink!

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »
Many thanks, Dewi.....diolch yn fawr iawn.

I was tickled pink!

Les

Pinc Cymro, yn hawdd i'w gweld yn y dyfodol!!!!

Dewi

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Les that's a cracking piece! And the fact you've got that to work on such a big piece too is a real achievement.
Can I ask, is Danish oil your go-to finish? It has worked well here.

Tom