Author Topic: Making two matching items or more!  (Read 10176 times)

arcos

Making two matching items or more!
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »
I'm struggling!

I was asked to make some earrings over the weekend and only JUST about managed to get two pieces looking more or less the same shape and size!!!

NOW....

I am on my first bowl of SIX!

Please, is there any tips for turning 'identical' pieces easily???

No, it's fine, the client KNOWS that they will not be exactly the same but she likes that but it would be nice to get the pieces somewhere close!

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Making two matching items or more!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
Hi arcos,
           try making a cardboard template from the first one you make and mark the edges of the bowl on it, then just keep offering it up until it fits, you can do the same inside and out. It is also easier to turn a bowl with a nice curve to it than trying to male one with a flat bottom.
Hope this helps, if not send a plane ticket and I will come and do them for you ;D ;D
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
John's idea is the best. Richard Findley is the best one for advice though as he does loads of copies. As George intimated it does get easier with practice but make it easy on yourself to start and keep your shapes simple.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

arcos

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »
Thanks John....

Can't offer a plane ticket but free accommodation and plenty of Medronho from the Strawberry Trees!!!

I will have a try at making a template and see what happens.

Yep, I can see that practice is the way forward but this one is going to be a challenge!!

I LIKE CHALLENGES!!!  ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:41 PM »
Arcos, you're moving very swiftly from having never turned to selling.
You're still learning the basics so try and keep things simple. Not just your turnings but peoples oders for pieces as well.
They need to be very satisfied with what you make to come back a second or more times.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Arcos, you're moving very swiftly from having never turned to selling.
You're still learning the basics so try and keep things simple. Not just your turnings but peoples oders for pieces as well.
They need to be very satisfied with what you make to come back a second or more times.

Unfortunately with woodturners it is always the same as soon as they start making they want to be selling.
In my opinion you need to learn to do it right before you start to sell there is too much poor quality turnings being sold and that is why woodturnings are second to ceramics,glass and other disciplines.
And anticipating replies of but my work is good I would say good compared to what.

Regards George

George, You do little to advance Beginners into Woodturning, if every or any turner, even good one's work should be bad. Few turners are deemed to be termed as equal to you.

Arcos and what he may lack as skills is doing a bloody good job, for where he is and with the limited supplies available, as are other out there, be more constructive to any fellow turner, if they're to learn at all, Educate, not Alienate, no one is competition to you or your work, as with Arcos, unless George your planned move should be to Portugal, he'll still have a sole market trade.

Arcos,  Within the Glenn Lucas video's it's shown some of the ways he sets out in making the bowls ..  http://www.youtube.com/user/GlennLucasWoodTurner .. and some other interesting things to watch if you've not seen before.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:04:40 PM »
So, my work is good compared to what?

Yours? His? Hers?

My work is as good as those who will deem it good. Those who will compliment my work, those who will give my work praise... No, they are not all customers, no they are not all buying but they are seeing and appreciating the work that I do... Praise is good enough for me! I don't need to earn a euro for my work, pleasure to others is enough!

I had a very interesting evening at a local Portuguese cafe this evening. I had a small bowl, part of a set of 6 that I am making. A Portuguese guy saw it and was "astounded" that this very simple bowl was made from Oliverinha. He then took it and displayed it to the bar whereupon the owner of the bar asked me a whole host of questions and has now offered me a permanent display in the bar and will 'sell'  to their clients, friends and family from all over Portugal! I am now struggling to be able to find the time, the wood to keep up with demand! No matter how "poor quality" I am producing!

Oh, and didn't we just come full circle? How much is your bowl worth? It's worth as much as someone will 'pay'! Is that pounds, shillings and pence? Euros? Dollars? Or is it just the appreciation of a 'craftsman' who has produced something from some scrap, rotting piece of wood... Don't they call that recycling these days? Isn't that a good thing?

Most recycling, in my opinion, is a waste of time, money and energy (I guess you can tell I'm no hippy!)

Recycling wood and turning it into a piece of ART IS good!

So, to answer your question George... "... goo compared to what"... Good compared to the LAST piece I turned!

Doing it "right" in who's mind? Mine? Yours? Or perhaps the person who is prepared to buy something that THEY feel is "right"?

Let me ask you a question... Would you buy something you didn't like? I know that I wouldn't!

Yes, I am new to this amazing art, yes I am learning this amazing art... I have been playing guitar for the last 35 years.... I am still learning THAT art! I will continue to learn THAT art until the day I lay my guitar down! To stop learning is to stop loving the art, whatever the art is!

Please excuse me I am over stepping the mark but shouldn't EVERYONE continue to learn, no matter how skilled, how successful they are?

Sorry, had a bit of a rant there for a minute!

Let me clarify something...

I never started turning pieces of wood to make money... It was a love I had for trying to create, to perfect something from a scabby old piece of brown stuff into something slightly more attractive. What I have found is that my love of turning a bit of brown stuff into a slightly more interesting bit of brown stuff is giving others pleasure AS WELL AS MYSELF!

If those "others" re willing to pay a little bit for my time, my electricity, my replacement of tools that will enable me to continue loving turning and giving others pleasure then who am I or anyone to argue?

KEEEEEEEP TURNING!  ;D

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
Dear All,

I am new to turning and having just got started, last week I had a Stroke !
Heaven only knows when I'll get back to turning again.

But, I have to say that I'm very reluctant to 'Post' on this site that much becase of some of the barbed comments that seem to be creeping in.

So instead of Posting or turning, I'll just continue to watch from the sidelines.

One P.S. - Arcos, you just do what your happy with and what works - Good on you mate !

Now that's my rant over !

Bob.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »
Ho Bob ,
            sorry to hear about your stroke, I hope you make a full and rapid recovery.
We are all friends so on this site and yes the discussions can get a bit heated at times but that is exactly what would happen if we were all members of the same club and speaking face to face.
REGARDS
john
BHT

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »
Hello Bob, I am sorry to near about your Stroke I hope you make a speedy recovery.Good luck for the Future.Regards John

Bob after posting the above I have just realised you are the Bob I sent the tickets to for the European Show.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:39:32 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

arcos

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:38 PM »
Different is good George!

There is no right or wrong in this world, just different!

Banter is also GREAT... No one can agree 100% of the time... That would make for a very boring world!

Just don't make it personal... I do martial arts you know!!  ;D

I don't think that my work is "inferior"! Yes I am still learning this mazing art and I do my utmost to make the very best that I can achieve. I am a perfectionist and really spend more time than is perhaps necessary in achieving the best I can. Nope, I am SURE that it doesnt make the 'grade' of those who have been turning for decades but my God I try, and I am learning with every revolution of the lathe!

Don't like my work? Thats ok! I may not like yours either! (althought more likely I will just be envious of your skills!) Doesn't make it wrong, just makes it different!

I never started turning to earn a buck! If people want to hand me money that I can use to buy better tools, continue turning and improve my skills then I am happy!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
I wonder if there are any inferior glassworkers or ceramicists out there? You wouldn't think so from some of the above statements. Come on guys, get down off your soapboxes and live and let live.
Brian

arcos

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
Hi Arcos.

I never said your work was inferior I have no idea if it is or isn't.
One thing I do know is that I have never yet seen anybody that has been woodturning for a few months gain enough experience to be selling quality work.
Maybe you are the exception but I doubt it.
I do think you need to learn to walk before you can run .
I think I read that you had several attempts at square rimmed bowls explode that is not clever that is stupid and if you are not careful you will be hurting yourself.
That is not be being personal that is me saying take care.

Regards George

Oh I just LOVE being called stupid!

Cheers mate...

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »

Arcos, how are you coming along with the remaining bowls, have you the set.

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
Unfortunately David, because I am so stupid, I have not been able to continue with the bowls!

Just been stuck selling inferior lumps of brown stuff to the unsuspecting public who know no better!