Author Topic: Making two matching items or more!  (Read 10177 times)

arcos

Re: Making two matching items or more!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
Oh come now George!

Two insults in one thread?

Go for a hat trick and be done with it!

;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:38:42 PM by arcos »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
I have never laughed so much at a thread on this Forum in all my life. I do so hope this stays as FUN and doesn't get out of hand. ;)

lets get back to the Round and Brown ;D ;D ;D Regards John
John Smith

arcos

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
No, George PLEASE leave the posts....

I will be able to read them as I come over on the ferry to kick your ass!!

Martial artist remember  ;) (black belt 3rd dan)

Round and Brown boys, round and brown!!!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:26 PM »
Hi Arcos, Glad to see you are a good sport and have taken this thread all in good fun.Round and Brown ;D ;D ;D Regards John
John Smith

arcos

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
Oh John....

I have dealt with worse!  ;D

I have a philosophy, NEVER join a forum unless you can take as good as you can give!

This is me performing Shihonage on a student....

I hope George has the same philosophy!  ;)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 09:32:17 PM »
Hi Arcos, Great I am enjoying this I can't wait for Georges Response. ;D ;D ;D regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »
Unfortunately David, because I am so stupid, I have not been able to continue with the bowls!

Just been stuck selling inferior lumps of brown stuff to the unsuspecting public who know no better!

Arcos,

How far have you got, you've posted the first one, this may be where you've lost making copies the same, you needed to start with 6 blanks all of the same size, 8 blanks if you had the stock, 2 spare for you can never tell if a fault or crack may run in a large bowl blank, any copy work have a spare in case.

John BHT, said to make a card profile once you made one ... better still create a rectangular thin plywood layout template the piece should be a little wider than half the diameter of the bowl, mark what will be the center line just in from the edge, measure next the outside edge of the bowl, measure the intended rim/wall thickness, you'll have the inside set, transfer the center line across to the other side, from that then mark half the diameter of your chuck jaws, you could also have the outer diameter reference as well, would help confirm all lines up.

That was half the width of the full bowl, the side of the ply needs to be a little over the intended height, you'll mark the foot and it's height, then the height to the finished rim, with this bowl you've just the long flowing curve, so it's not to add any detail that could have been in the side/edge of rim.

Your set now to repeat the bowl when ever you like or need to made them. Not knowing how you first mount the blank to cut the foot/chuck mount or shape the outside, I'll start that the blanks mounted, true up (make flat) the bottom face and mark the center, with the template on the toolrest, aline the center line and mark the foot/chuck mount and outside diameter (in time you'll mark these with the lathe running, but for now mark, then draw with lathe on) now true the edge and turn to shape and finish, repeat this operation with all the blank, well next 5.

Rechuck, true the face and mark the center, aline template, the outer edge should be correct, just need the mark rim/wall and what is to be removed from inside and finish ...  and the next ...   John's template is ideal just to double check the form at each step.

I'd considered scanning pictures of the template and how to use it that are in a book, but don't think for copy right should do so, so I'm hoping you have the idea, should you not be able to find reference at all on the internet to the layout with the template.

Look forward to seeing them finished.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »
You can kiss mine George!

And, yes I am "into all that"... I'm an artist you see... I like to perfect my art, learn and continue learning... I continue teaching also... Teaching does not mean criticising it means encouraging...

Stop learning, you stop living...

Enjoy  :-*

Mark Sanger

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »
I enjoy going to the circus it is always good value when the clowns come out. :)

Arcos,

I doubt you are an Aikidoka at all as if you do indeed study Aikido then you need to return to 1st kyu and start again. It would be good to see pictures of you instead of ones pulled from the net or wikipedia. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aikido&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IO4lUb7YLuOb0QXMzYCwBg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=685#imgrc=JJlACOxmD5GGZM%3A%3Bcmp8N7tYvtMK1M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F3.bp.blogspot.com%252F-Awo2s7aaof0%252FT5C3DNGACPI%252FAAAAAAAAAXg%252F0BkT_X0ynOk%252Fs1600%252Faikido%252Bquote.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fjapanesejiujitsu.blogspot.com%252F2012%252F04%252Fmeditations-on-aikido.html%3B359%3B272

Any teacher of such a deep philosophical art would not even say they practice, let alone say they will kick someones arse. You're no more a 3rd dan than I am a UN nuclear inspector. Of course you could be the one that wrote the wikipedia page. But I doubt it, you are obviously having a laugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

I am sure the work you are posting is yours and not pulled from the net but it is hard to tell now.

George

You should know better getting involved with being bated in forums.

Still it is better than the comedy page I normally visit.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:21:26 AM by Mark Sanger »

arcos

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »
Glad you liked the thread Mark...

Yes, ok, busted on the photo BUT yes I am an Aikidoka... And yes, the term is practice NOT train! You practice an art form, as in wood turning, as in Aikido. Training is for the football field!

If, as it appears, your also practice Aikido then you will be familar with Bushido and this character...

However, I suspect that there are far too many people on this forum with little interest in Aikido and Bushido so perhaps we can have the conversation on a more appropriate forum

Mark Sanger

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »
perhaps we can have the conversation on a more appropriate forum

No thank you I don't frequent the charlatan forum.

arcos

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:51 PM »
 ;D