Author Topic: Burr Lime Lidded form  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Burr Lime Lidded form
« on: January 24, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »
A slice of Burr Lime branch that was too beautiful to cut up and too slim to make anything other than a dish.  So a lidded form presented itself as the obvious option.

The dish section is about 180mm (7½”) diameter by 60mm (2½”) high, with an overall height of 120mm (5”). Finished with sanding sealer and paste wax.

Franz, if you look in, it’s the bit you threw at me! However unlike your bit, it cut like a dream, none of that spitting out shavings like bullets.

The foot and lid are made of Oak, darkened with a thinned out nightmare solution so as to not make them completely black.

Comments & Critiques as always please, and for all you lurkers out there - thanks for peeking.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Burr Lime Lidded form
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »

Hi Bryan,

The burr just wouldn't have stood as a piece on it's own then, as it looks like a beautiful piece, what's it like without the lid on, as I'm (and that's me) not sure as to the lid and foot, the piece works as a form, but it's maybe the darken Oak and heavy highlighted grain, will come back, as a second time it may look different.

Well done and on withstanding the cold.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »
Hello Bryan,
               David posted his opinion as I was writing mine,I agree that although the form works very well the colours do not. I think it is because the grain is so pronounced in the top and foot, a shiny black would look nice I think but how about a powder blue?
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »
Hello Bryan,
               David posted his opinion as I was writing mine,I agree that although the form works very well the colours do not. I think it is because the grain is so pronounced in the top and foot, a shiny black would look nice I think but how about a powder blue?
Regards
John BHT

Now that's an idea ...  And John have you gone over too the colour side ...     ;D

David

Paul Disdle

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »
What is knightmare solution?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
Paul,  it's a mixture made up of wire wool soaked in vinegar, otherwise rust stain .. Woody explained it better how to make it: http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,907.0.html

Cheers     David

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
Overall I like this a lot but have to agree that the lid and foot would be better a single colour. As it is it sort of detracts from the beauty of the lime IMHO. I would have said black gloss but maybe powder blue would work LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »
Sorry Guy's, was not sure if I should post these pics or not, the show the inside.

I've also got to say, I looked at the bowl for a long time before deciding to fit the foot and lid. Truthfully it never sat right in my eye and needed something.

Maybe a different lid etc., that could be arranged, but on it's own, I was not that happy with it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
Love it without the lid a real beauty  cant you get rid of the rim for the lid that grain should never be hidden

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
I prefer it without the lid!!

Very nice

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »
Hello Bryan, I also would prefer this without the lid and the rim removed. Regards John
John Smith

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:41 PM »
Hi Bryan,
            no I think you are right ,it does need a lid because of the bottom which is devoid of the burr characteristics. Still not sure about what colour lid though. I think it is because of the prominent grain in the lid,perhaps something a little blander(?)
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »
Much better with the lid. IMHO. Plain wood, single colour but maybe do something decorative on the underside of the lid, Nice little surprise when it is lifted?

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
Sorry Guy's, was not sure if I should post these pics or not, the show the inside.

I've also got to say, I looked at the bowl for a long time before deciding to fit the foot and lid. Truthfully it never sat right in my eye and needed something.

Maybe a different lid etc., that could be arranged, but on it's own, I was not that happy with it.

Hi Bryan,

The burr looks to run through most the bottom of the bowl, it's just the picture angle we see an area without, the rim cut for the lid makes a transition from the highly figured burr and the differing bowl, could you work within these lines with the form that it makes a detail, the foot at the moment is the same as the lid, to change the one it would be to done the foot as well, just where do you go with the piece.

All advice is constructive, but it's down to what you want from the piece.

Cheers     David

Mark Sanger

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »
Hi Bryan

I think you have made a good job of it.  It would be nice without the rim as the burr is so beautiful. But hey, it is still a well turned piece and after a while I am sure by looking at it you will come to the best conclusion for you.