Author Topic: Burr Lime Lidded form  (Read 6772 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Burr Lime Lidded form
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »
Thanks guy's,

I've left this run to see where it goes, and hopefully it's done that.

Some of you like the lid, some don't, that's good.  ;)

To start with I hope it is Lime. Franz Brown gave me the blank at a demo he did at the club one evening ( a year or so ago) and I've no reason to doubt him. However it's not the colour of any Lime I've ever seen before. Such a warm honey colour.

From the start, even before turning it, I always saw it with a lid, and I felt it need the lift, to be above the surface it rested on and as there was not enough depth to make a foot from the blank I had I know it was going to have to be applied. That then made sense to match the timber top and bottom.

I've gone through 2 different feet and 3 different lids and several more different knobs and finials, to find the balance I like. I tried wood both lighter and darker but is did not sit with the burr very well, I even tried a finish in a high gloss black Japlac, it works for some things, but I did not like it for this.

I felt it need to reflect the piece in some way, so playing with the thinned nightmare (thanks for the reminder Woody) and I managed to match the colour of the burr bark. But that also meant using oak, or at a minimum Ash (as it's also a tannic wood) but either of them was always going to have an open grain.

Having the same brown foot, rim and lid gave (to me) a balance and the added height an elegance (or something like that) to the piece. Maybe it looks better in real life, maybe I photographed the worst angles.

John (BHT), I never thought about using non-wood colours, although I use stains quite a bit in other turnings. 

Bodrighywood, if you look closely (especially on the inner side of the lid) you can just make out a metallic sheen, that's one of the Myland Metallic stains, maybe I'll try a second coat see if that works better.

That's the history. However for information, there is still (just) enough thickness to re-turn it if in the future I later feel that the lid is wrong, but for now, I like it as it is (which is the important factor).

For all the thoughts you've put into commenting on this piece, I'd like to offer my thanks.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 08:15:02 PM »
I think at the end of the day the most important factor is that you as the creator like it but none of us can fault your workmanship in turning or finish

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
What an interesting thread. I've read through all the comments and suggestions and can see where everyone is coming from. I do like the whole piece but am a bit undecided about the grain in the lid and foot. The burr is absolutely beautiful and such a gorgeous hue. Whatever, it's very well turned, Nice piece. Malcolm.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06:34 PM »
I like it and have been introduced to the knightmare solution which seems very interesting. Seeing your comment you had to use oak or ash to get the tannic reaction, having done some reading there seems to be the suggestion you can feed other wood with strong tea solution to build the tanin level up before using the knightmare solution. I intend to try this at some point thought you maybe interested.

Paul

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 06:23:14 AM »
I agree with Malcy that this has been an interesting thread. It has given me some ideas for when I get round to turning the burrs I have in the shed.
Regarding the powder blue, I have just made a table lamp for a customer in Oak, I didn't colour it as all his furniture is natural colour Oak(I know in furniture the term is "in the white" does the same apply with turnings?)however I could see it finished in a powder blue for some reason. It is a colour that has been used on wood for centuries that is why I thought of it I suppose.
Regards
John BHT