Author Topic: Sorby Universal Sharpening System  (Read 4843 times)

Paul Disdle

Sorby Universal Sharpening System
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
Hi Does anybody have the universal sharpening system with the table attachment so you can use the skew and other insert guides. I was wonder how useful it was. Also I can seem to find many pictures or dimensions for it. If anybody has one and could take some other than the stock shot from the top and could let me know the size it would be very helpful. I am thinking of possibly making a similar system.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Re: Sorby Universal Sharpening System
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
The system itself is very easy to use but I didn't find the skew attachment very useful as I have a Robert Sorby skew chisel that is curved so will not lie flat. I find it just as easy to rest it on the flat bed and present the skew chisel to the belt by eye.

If you go to the Robert Sorby web site, you will find a video on using the system.
Philip from sunny St Issey

woody

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
It is much easier to turn a disk to fit your chuck and stick a fine sanding disk on that and it will produce razor sharp tools at a fraction of the price and you can always see the angle you are sharpening at

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »

Woody I know you'd not mind if I add the link to your post of the grinding jig, it shows paul the disk you mean: http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,579.0.html...  it place of your skilled rest, he could use the tool rest.

Cheers      David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
That's the one Dave thanks mate I am going to sell the complete system with quite a few sanding disks and two MDF diskwith a bar screwed in them  to fix them to a chuck the table  it has a 3/4" post on it for £30 hope I don't get into trouble for that bit of advertising LOL

Paul Disdle

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies but I seem to have not expressed myself very well. I have a bench grinder with white wheels and am looking at a system to go with it.  I was wondering about the universal sharpening system to use with this. Woody your system seems a very good idea but wouldn't it be a lot of work to keep changing this and what I am turning or am I missing the point.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
Hi Paul,
I've got a Robert Sorby Universal setup on one side of my bench grinder so can take some pictures and dimensions for you, but it will be in a day or so as I am busy working on a customers site (boring ordinary joinery) and won't get to my workshop for a while. Hope that's ok.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Paul Disdle

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
That would fantastic thanks

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »
Hi Paul,
I've sent you an email with pics and details of my Robert Sorby Universal sharpening setup, as promised. Hope it covers what you need but please get back to me if you need any more info.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts