Author Topic: Bowl Gouge for swept grind  (Read 5994 times)

Paul Disdle

Bowl Gouge for swept grind
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
As part of my learning I would like to try a more swept type of grind on a bowl gouge than what I currently have. My current bowl gouge is a basic axminster one and due to its flute shape I have been told It wouldn't function very well with a swept grind. So I would like to get a gouge to try this on. Which would be best between Axminster Pro, Henry Taylor Superflute, Crown or Crown Cryo.

Thanks

Paul

woody

Re: Bowl Gouge for swept grind
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »
These are the type of things that are almost impossible to teach on a forum but I found years ago trial and error  practice makes perfect and that way you will eventually find what is best for you another way is personnel lessons from some one in a club or on a course but personally I prefer the first option best well it was for me

Paul Disdle

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
I appreciate grind angle is a personnel thing and I too like a trial and error method, I was after information on the suitability of these gouges to take a swept grind I have been led to believe some are more suitable than others due to their profile.

Thanks

Paul

woody

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »
All of the bowl gouges I had i ground the wings back in a sweeping mode and used the gouges to teach many people who now use a very similar grind

Paul Disdle

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Thats great news thanks, did you have a brand of preference?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
I don't know the Axminster or Crown Bowl Gouges. My swept back gouge's are the Henry Taylor superflutes (and one Sorby) and they work very well. However I only grind mine back about 1/2 to 2/3 the way some people do. As said above, it's a preference.

I also acquired a couple of Record Bowl Gouges with a second hand lathe I bought some years ago.  I ground them as a swept back gouge and they were awful, they did nothing but jam the flute with shavings I had to continually clear.

Eventually I reground them to a low angle flat grind to use in the bottom of bowls etc, since then they have worked fine.

I've no idea why but the 'U' shaped flute does not seem to like the swept grind but the 'parabolic' flute does.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:23:52 PM »
Not able to comment on suitable gouges for swept back grinds as I don't really use them but the makes you have mentioned are all very good chisels.
Regards
John BHT
Try and borrow one to try out before you splash the cash

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »
Not able to comment on suitable gouges for swept back grinds as I don't really use them but the makes you have mentioned are all very good chisels.
Regards
John BHT
Try and borrow one to try out before you splash the cash

A better option would be someone to show you just how the gouge is used and if possible more than one type, but then they'd all work the same, just for how much the cut could be ...  maybe this is leading to a workshop course, idea to put forward.

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »
I appreciate grind angle is a personnel thing and I too like a trial and error method, I was after information on the suitability of these gouges to take a swept grind I have been led to believe some are more suitable than others due to their profile.
Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul,
I believe, from other posts and emails, that you've got the Axminster HSS tool set. I have seen the bowl gouge in these sets and found the flute is very shallow, more like a spindle gouge, so you would not get a very successful 'long grind' on that tool. However, I think you also got some second hand tools (ebay) which may have included a deeper profile, genuine bowl gouge, which would take a long grind.
As others have said, it's difficult to advise on a forum when it really needs a 'hands on' practical session.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Paul Disdle

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 08:11:01 AM »
Thank you everyone, I located another club member last night who is going to help me practically with this.

Thank

Paul