Author Topic: how do we take wood turning i to the future  (Read 18156 times)

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
how do we take wood turning i to the future
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
please discuss

woody

Re: how do we take wood turning i to the future
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
By all of us who turn teaching our children and grandchildren and doing local demos for the next generation

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
I think wood turning is being taken into the future very well by the AWGB. With the youth training program and the wood turning qualification courses that are being trialed, the opportunity for turners to have bespoke training from experienced professionals and the chance to attend seminars and compete in national competitions. There are more clubs now than there has ever been and brown and round is a thing of the past(well nearly).
       With a membership increasing all the time guided by an active and committed core of forward thinking turners who encourage the participation of their fellow members and welcome constructive comments from others regarding their work and who never fail to explain thinking behind design ideas the diversity and quantity(and quality) of turners will increase, and that is the life blood of our craft.            
            Yes we could do with younger blood coming into the craft and re-shaping the attitude of the British public towards hand made items and we could do with more funding and training and different ways of thinking,but the biggest impact can be made by the existing turners,just by taking part and don't forget The Worshipful Company of Turners who are hosting Wizardry in Wood which gives "rank and file" turners the opportunity to take part alongside the professionals. There is a lot going on in turning that sometimes perhaps does not get the mention it deserves but it is going on none the less.
         I don't think we are doing too bad at the moment but there is always room for improvement.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
How do we take woodturning into the future?

My first problem is understanding the meaning of the question.

Are you asking us to consider how we get the next generation interested in woodturning and perpetuate the art,

or,

Are you asking us how we think the art of woodturning can be expanded into the public psyche to make it a recognised art form in its own right.

These two ways at looking at the question  may also be considered opposite sides of the same coin. The more Woodturners there are, the more ‘other people’ that will become familiar with non-function turned work and the more it will become accepted.

So what am I trying to say.

To start with, as Woody says, teach our children and grandchildren. No they won’t all get bitten by the bug immediately, but in years to come some of them will remember and come to it naturally. Schools should also have their part to play but nowadays many of them only teach the design and process of handcrafts, actually doing it – far too dangerous, sharp tools, rotating objects, they are risk too averse.

The days when clubs take in the local Scout or Guide groups, Youth training days and all those events are becoming terribly important. But too few and too brief to do more than show a possibility to the attendees. Dad’s or Granddads workshop with its repetition of work, interesting corners, strange tools and smells. Look back at how ‘you’ came to it, what lead or prompted you to ‘have a go’ and get bitten by the bug. 

The problem is, unlike when many of us were younger, nowadays there are very many more distractions and pursuits for people to use to while away their free time – computers and the next generation of ‘pads’ being some of the worst.

As for the second possible question meaning, I think (can’t prove) that our three biggest challenges are;

a. Stopping people thinking of woodturning as a ‘Trade’, producing chair legs, salad bowls and wooden spoons etc..
 b. The population of the UK are not naturally drawn to owning Art, we’re barely out of the 3 ducks on the wall or poster (without frame) stage.
c. It’s only a bit of wood, it can’t be worth much – or similar!

John, you mentioned the Worshipful Company of Turners, somewhere in the last couple of weeks I’ve read about the wonderful pieces of turned work they’ve been keeping hidden away and are now putting on show (albeit briefly). It’s these things from our past that should be visible all the time to show it’s not all Salad bowls and spoons.

Turned work is available in the UK but I’ve never seen it outside of Craft Galleries, where it is considered a ‘Craft’ item despite the level of work some items require. We need to get Art Galleries to stand our work alongside paintings (splodge on canvas!) and sculpture (piles of bricks and unmade beds!) as something for the general public to own. This leap has been made in America and I think to some extent Australia (I can’t speak for other countries).

So there is my initial thoughts – your turn, support me or argue against, but please, don’t read and pass on. All thoughts on this question  have much value and worth.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
I agree with most of what has been said so far but think that we woodturners have to share the blame in some ways in this country for the general idea of woodturning being a craft only and not an art form. I do craft fairs (much ignored by many turners) and am dismayed by the artistic element or lack of it available. Pens, bowls bottle stoppers and that's about it generally. I try and have more artistic pieces as well as a wide variety of different things available and am usually greeted with comments such as 'ooh that is different' or 'did you make all these things.' We need to expose Joe public to the wide variety of things that can be made by turning, let them see that even mundane objects can be things of beauty. There are so many ways of letting people see that wood is a beautiful medium and not just a practical one. A classic example is in treen. I make rolling pins from anything that is food safe apart from beech and sycamore for example allowing the grain and figuring to be seen. It isn't other turners we need to convince and educate it is the public many of whom are actually unaware that people really do still make things on a lathe let alone artistic pieces. Galleries are all well and good but have a limited audience as do 'arty' shops etc. Farmers markets, village fairs etc etc etc are how we show people how fantastic our art is. Also make sure we price things properly. I get sick of seeing people selling things for the cost of the wood alone, not allowance for the time, skill and thought that has gone into it. Selling cheap undermines the value of the art and tells people it is nothing special.
Right...off my hobby hoss and into the workshop LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:55:22 PM »
Hello

Schools should also have their part to play but nowadays many of them only teach the design and process of handcrafts, actually doing it – far too dangerous, sharp tools, rotating objects, they are risk too averse.

The problem is, unlike when many of us were younger, nowadays there are very many more distractions and pursuits for people to use to while away their free time – computers and the next generation of ‘pads’ being some of the worst.

Sorry Bryan I disagree!  There are many reasons why schools don't do woodwork/metalwork etc and it isn't all to do with being risk averse.  Budgets, curriculum etc all play a part, and I think we forget that the people who establish the rules/spending budgets are our peers, or perhaps our children?  Also the risk averse culture is aggravated by parents who often insist on safety etc or they'll sue - and for many of us that's our children as well!

Second "computers and pads" isn't that what we are using to get on this and other forums?  They have brought a world on information, knowledge and entertainment that was the world of science fiction when we were kids.  there are many worse things than playing on a computer or an IPAD

Many people don't have room or money to afford a lathe, tools, lessons, etc to end up making something brown and round! And let's face it that what most people make - as Pete suggests in his post about craft fairs.

How about a woodturning app, or a woodturning Wii game?  I doubt there will be one but magazines are available and there's also YouTube - but that's a separate debate.

It doesn't depress me and I'm sure woodworking in all its forms will continue and develop and there will be a few that push the boundaries.  Most of us I suspect will continue with the brown and round!
I doubt it will ever be anything other than a minority hobby for the few with room for a shed, money for tools and someone to help get them started.  To be honest I doubt that when we were kids there were any more turners than there are now, in fact I wouldn't  be surprised if there were less.   And from my experience there wasn't much opportunity to do anything other than make a shoebox at 11 and 12!  And then there were insufficient place available for woodwork and metalwork when I was 13 and that's 44 years ago so I had to do music or art neither of which appealed so to think to think things were better in the past is perhaps a fallacy.

Ian's question was "how do we take woodturning into the future".  I suspect the answer is more of the same, as others have already stated.

Perhaps the question is "where are we taking it to?" and I don't know the answer to that either! :D

Cheers Dave

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
There's an old saying in beekeeping "if bees didn't sting everyone would keep bees".  So who would buy their honey?

Tony Malin

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »

Ian's question was "how do we take woodturning into the future".  I suspect the answer is more of the same, as others have already stated.

Perhaps the question is "where are we taking it to?" and I don't know the answer to that either! :D

Cheers Dave

It's in the WE ...  we read that not only the AWGB, but at Club level that posts are pending or need to be filled and should these posts not become filled then the likelihood is the Group would or will fold, not all of us may be able to fill such posts, but in looking to the Future it depends on it, if there is to be a Future.

It is always the question how or why did a person take up Turning, for me it was from School and for all my interest in doing so, it was not until I had a home of my own and a garage, an been left some extra money that I got the lathe etc to start, it's taken time and alot more money to get up a full kit of tools an equipment needed, which still needs adding too, so as said already space and cost are the main part and as I am find currently at this moment TIME...  as an when ...  if I get to retire ...  THEN ... 

Via here and the different Web Sites out there we do ( those with an interest ) get to see alot of work which is well outside of the round an brown, it is for more of the public and art buyers to find them, which a few are doing, it would be starting a fresh topic to say wood doesn't compete with Glass, Ceramics or othe art forms.

That you to all who have commented so far.     And as Dave asked  "where are we taking it to?"  don't kill the root ....

Cheers      David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

reg

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
I'm not sure what Ian's question is aimed at--if he implies that everything is standing still and something has to be done about it then I disagree--if he implies that there are other things we haven't thought off then I'm sure he is right.
In the last 3 years we have expanded our training programme and introduced a whole new range of courses with particular attention to youth training and now have an association with the Scouts
We are looking at woodturning certificates and diplomas
We have introduced the first ever internet auctions dedicated to woodturning --the funds from these have allowed to expand the training already mentioned
The international seminar at Loughborough continues to improve and the gallery there will inspire anyone and certainly doesn't contain any of the basic craft items complained off in one of the posts.( the gallery can be viewed by anyone free)
We are in the process of becoming a charity which will increase kudos and hopefully open up other funding possibilities which in turn will allow us to do more.
So basically there is a lot going on but as I said in the beginning we are always open to new ideas and of course touching on another post we are always open to others to help. This last point is almost the opposite of the question asked --what is holding us back?--and the lack of the right people coming forward willing to put in the time and effort for the benefit of all is certainly a major concern

Regards Reg Hawthorne

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
Hi Ian, I agree with Reg Hawthorne I think the AWGB is far from Standing Still I also think the AWGB has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years with all of the Training Programmes that are carried out the Seminar that takes place every two years and many other initiatives that are being undertaken.I often wonder if members ever read an digest information that is on this Forum,in the Revolutions Mag,In the news letter that Andy has started sending out etc.etc. this will show some of  the initiatives that are going on, I think the Committee do a super job,As a Secretary of a Branch also Treasurer because no one else would take it on and next year we are looking for an Events Secretary which we asked for  someone to take this on back in January so far no volunteers out of a membership of 65 The AWGB also needs help with members coming forward.
Remember one thing and I have said it on previous postings.Over the last 10 years I have attended the AGM in April the attendance is very poor and it is mostly the same faces.

OUR COMMITTEE ARE ALL UNPAID VOLUNTEERS WHO PUT MANY HOURS OF THEIR OWN TIME IN TO THIS ASSOCIATION
John Smith

Peter Einig

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »
Perhaps there is a need to look back at what the AWGB has done/improved/put in place since the beginning. Bearing in mind that although the AAW is only one year older than us, I think, the mind set of galleries and collectors is very different.

I was the Hon Sec of the AWGB for a few years in the late 90's and can definately see an Assoc that has moved forward positively in various ways.

I have tried for my part to try and demo turning in local secondary schools having just retired from a support role within a secondary school. Not easy to even find a space for a demo even. The emphasis is now mainly on plastics and electronics due to modern needs of production. However, that is not to say that they have blinkers on. One pupil from school decided to design a USB lamp and wanted to turn same. Needless to say when I became aware I offered some help, got him to join our club and AWGB, gave him some basic instruction with a loaned club lathe and tools, and await his GCSE results next week. H&S in school was not an issue, I was the H&S officer. It is the appreciation/understanding of what can be achieved by staff and pupils.

So local is not necessarily easy but we have had input with our local scout group. All we can do is to make 'locals' aware that we are available.

As has been said previously, there needs to be a national priority to show /exhibit what can be created on a lathe.

We have come a long way and those who offer their time at national or club level are to be congratulated. As Reg has said, there is a lot going on. Perhaps the question should be:

How can we get this to the wider audience? This would include the collector/gallery owners/future turners.

woody

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
When I do village craft fairs I always take a small lathe and I can guarantee with Mum or Dads consent that quite a few children get realty excited and want to have a go and they always take a bit of wood away with then and a grin from ear to ear  and most of them come back year after year some even bring friends so I think one to one is also another way forward at the moment I am teaching one of our grandchildren he is 8 years old and he always takes a turned bit of wood home with him another thing I think is important so we can all do our bit in a small but very important way now I'm going and I will shut the door behind me

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »
In answer to the question first posed about bringing WY into the future I think in the last 24hrs this has been achieved. Twitter and facebook accounts that should attract younger participants. Well done Andy you have achieved when the rest of us were just discussing!
Regards
John BHT

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
my Question was simply a way of getting a discusion started
and i feel i have acheved that the work that the team from the awgb are doing is first class but
there are always other idears out there some times people need a push to let the idears out
take the last 24 hour some one sugested the awgb had a face book page and that idear was taken on board and in fack expanded apon

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
Well,, we do have to bring the AWGB into the social media fold.

The Facebook, Twitter and YouTube situation arose because a DVD was sent to all clubs. I suggested using SM to get the contents to both Club members and to a wider audience (than just AWGB members) and Andy has set up the various accounts.

We might get the younger generation clicking on to AWGB and perhaps seeing something they like - but the key issue is that we are now reaching out to the younger market in a way they understand.

I agree with other postings, trying to get the Scouts interested (or even find the mention of woodturning on their site) is not easy.In any case, what happened to the tentative links with The Princes' Trust - another good contact that could be exploited.
This then leaves a larger target market which is being ignored - the mid/late 20's to whatever. How do we reach them?
The young professionals will come on board when we have a desirable "brand" they can buy into.

We probably need to lose the "r'n'b" (round and brown) image we have and the Seminar photos will help this along. More support from Galleries would be great - turners are having to create their own galleries to get work seen and sold.

The demise of woodwork in schools hasn't helped. Those schools that still teach woodwork as part of D & T are notoriously difficult to get into to help them expand this area of their tuition. Our club managed a couple of demos at a local school but haven't been able to follow up. Shame as both the students ther and our members could learn something from each other.

Probably lots more things we can do - at least Ian's posting has got a discussion going!
David
At The Cutting Edge