Author Topic: Captive Rings  (Read 2690 times)

Robert

Captive Rings
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »
I like making things with captive  rings - for example baby rattles or as show-off features on little goblets. Can anyone tell me the best way to ensure that the inside of the ring is finished to the same standard as the outside of the ring. At the moment I do this one of two ways. (1) narrow strips of abrasive passed through the ring abrrasive side against the inside of the ring, and just worked by hand, holding each end and pulling it back and forth with a sawing motion. This gets off any rough bits left inside the ring when you parted it off. (2) Putting a bit of sticky tape on one end of a strip of abrasive, and winding the strip round the spindle. You wind it anti-clockwise when viewed from the headstock end so it tends to tighten as you operate the lathe. [If you do it the other way round it tends to unwind!]. Then you turn on the lathe, hold the ring by hand and work it round the abrasive on the rotating spindle. That gets a smooth but not polished surface inside the ring.
But is there a better way to do this? My methods are fiddly and imperfect, and take a while if you have say three rings on a rattle. There must be some better ideas out there! Advice please

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Captive Rings
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
Hi Robert,

Soryy unable to help but would love to see a pic of your rattles.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
I do quite a lot of goblets with captive rings and use the 'abrasive on the spindle' technique. I am not aware of any other way of doing it reasonably quickly and with a good result. Getting a decent finish with the tool helps and I use a ground down allen key to make the final cuts releasing it. Like you Robert, if anyone has an easy more effective way I'd be glad to hear it LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »

It's the same for me ... 'abrasive on the spindle' technique with double sided tape, it was the way I was shown years ago now, as Pete said it aids with a good finish off the tool as well, what tool are you using to form them.

Cheers        David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''