Author Topic: Tool storage  (Read 5171 times)

Gary_Claus

Tool storage
« on: May 27, 2012, 04:51:31 AM »
Good morning Gentlemen,

I will be making my way home next week and one of the jobs on my list (apart from making ABS pen blanks) is to tidy up the workshop (shed).

I remember having seen somewhere the ingenious use of plastic pipe.  However, even though I have scoured the forum I can not find the relevant posts.

Could someone please direct me to the post?

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: Tool storage
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
Hi Gary

It may have been me?  I use plastic gutter screwed to the edge of my lathe stand/bench to collect shavIngs which are thene easily collected intO a bag. 

I have also seen, but not used plastic waste pipe fixed into a carousel affair wIthin which told are stored.  Looked pretty nifty to me but I use terry clips which I get from a local hardware store at a fraction of the big shed plastic packets!

Hope that helps

Cheers Dave

Gary_Claus

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 02:48:20 AM »
Thanks for the response.

Its the waste pipe thing I wanted to see but I had never thought of collecting shavings in a gutter.  Might have to try that!

Thanks  ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:11:51 AM »
I have another turner in the office (no club & not AWGB member) who had a bin full of dry shavings he sticks his 'In Use' tools into. I seem to think I'd heard this before, maybe the oldtime turners did it.

Having dinged a few tools against the underside of the bed bar a time or two (okay many!) I'm thinking this idea might be worthwhile.

Quicker than getting them in and out of an upright or wall mounted storage system.

Dave, any chance of a picture of the guttering idea. I've never heard of this before and would like to see it, thanks.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:26 AM »
The trouble with using plastic pipe to hold tools vertically is that the handles clash above the pipe so consider wrapping it with some kind of spacing material to hold the bits of pipe apart.
My 'in-use' tools lay across the lathe bed with a maximum of about 4 before I have a sort out. The real problematicals are the extra long hollowers which have to be 'stood up' somewhere, these I tend to stick into the shavings barrel (one of those Lidl springy-up things) which lives below the lathe and catches most of my droppings.
Having trouble seeing how a bit of guttering can be useful for my own set-up though.
All the best
Brian

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »
Hello guys

Here's a pic of the "gutter".  It's an old photo I took to show the stand really, but at least it is tidy (ish! ::)) which is more than it is at the moment!

It collects shavings which just I hoover up in the chip/dust collector.  I also rest my tools in it while I'm turning.  It's just occured to me that I'm glad "tools" is plural otherwise it could be misconstrued  ;) ;)

Cheers Dave

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
Hi Dave,

Great idea. As always with these things, it suits flat bed but not us "roundies". I'm sure a good plumbers merchant would find a fitting to link or hook  the guttering over the bed bars of a VB,Record or other roundie. Must have a look next time I'm in Buildbase or B & Q.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:08:20 AM »
The trouble with using plastic pipe to hold tools vertically is that the handles clash above the pipe so consider wrapping it with some kind of spacing material to hold the bits of pipe apart.
My 'in-use' tools lay across the lathe bed with a maximum of about 4 before I have a sort out. The real problematicals are the extra long hollowers which have to be 'stood up' somewhere, these I tend to stick into the shavings barrel (one of those Lidl springy-up things) which lives below the lathe and catches most of my droppings.
Having trouble seeing how a bit of guttering can be useful for my own set-up though.
All the best
Brian

I recently purchased one of those mechanics trolleys, it has three shelves and a lockable drawer, being wheel mounted I can put wherever suits the current shop set up and have the tools I need laying on the top. Its all plastic so doesn't damage the cutting tips, it is big enough to lay the longest of tools on in complete safety. The drawer is useful for chuck jaws, drive centers and all those other bits that can get buried in shavings and the shelves are handy for everything from chucks to tool rests to tins of finish. All to hand and easily moved to the most convenient position at the time. A quick dust off with the air line at the end of the day.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:10 AM »
I built a tray that sits in the bowl turning toolrest holder when spindle turning and that holds several tools and abrasives. A bit of gutter is alright for small works but I can produce bagfuls of shavings each day so it would be of no help to me. Struggling to get rid of them at the moment.....anyone want any shavings?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »
Sneak them into the neighbors' wheelie bins or compost heaps......... ;)
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
Tsk tsk  :o :o :o

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »
Know anyone with chickens or a compost loo? I get rid of a lot of mine that way. Also if you have a garden makes great paths that slowly rot down but keeps weeds at bay. There are also ways of making 'logs' from the dust and shavings but haven't really looked into it myself though I did experiment packing them into a couple of small boxes, lots of smoke and not much heat so did something wrong. Perhaps worth investigating if you have a solid fuel burner.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 01:40:20 PM »
all mine go to a chicken farmer as my dust extraction is rigged to drop them in to a wheelie bin.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 07:57:59 AM »
I've just installed a shaving burner to heat the workshop in winter  :)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »
I have a woodburner in the workshop that was sold as being able to burn sawdust and shavings as well as logwood but I haven't so far I have only tried it with a few shavings as kindling to get the bigger stuff going.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?