Author Topic: Demos from a demonstrators point of view  (Read 3390 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Demos from a demonstrators point of view
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »
There have been a number of threads about the cost of demos etc on here recently. One thing that hasn't been mentioned however is something that was highlighted at the last demo I did. When you are standing at the front trying to be entertaining, educational etc the worst scenario is the club where the members all sit there with po faces, no response, no questions, discussion or any indication what they are thinking or feeling. The feeling that you are being boring or just plain useless is the first to come to mind and you are likely to end up leaving the club with nothing but the cheque. The last one I did couldn't be different, a warm welcome, questions, repartee, banter, discussion, both during the demo and the breaks made it a really great day out as well as being a demo. Veteran turners telling you that they are going to go home and try out some of the things that you were showing, new turners asking advice, others offering advice to you (none of us should ever think we know it all) made it a great day. Those who do demonstrations are not doing it just for the money or to try and get a name for themselves but because they love their craft / art and want to share it with others, feed ideas, give inspiration not show how clever they are. Maybe all turners in clubs should have a go at demoing at least once to realise that it isn't just about turning but a lot more. No doubt there are those that will disagree but as someone who has been involved in teaching and goes to each demo he does shaking I assure you that the members also make or break a demo, not just the one at the front.

Not a rant just an observation.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Demos from a demonstrators point of view
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
Peter,

I have done a lot of training, demonstrating and teaching in my real job (not woodwork related), but I would love to share our craft with other people. I live in an area which has a high population of retired persons and I have been considering offering "taster" sessions to anyone who would be interested in seeing what turning involves. Perhaps you or other eminent members on this forum could offer advice on the requirements, insurance, legal obligations, health and safety etc. on offering simple, introductory sessions for those who show an interest. I am not looking to make it a business at all, purely to "share the love" of woodturning

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »

Pete, guilty as charged ...  :-[ ... yet, it is more being spell bound, mesmerized, undivided attention and absorbed in what is being done and said, plus the old fact of sit, listen and pay attention, then perhaps lack of response or interest. Others maybe thinking someone will ask the question or plead ignorance to not knowing something being shown, than a fault with the demonstrator.

A fault I've found in some clubs I've been with are those members who regardless wish to talk, not necessarily at the back, throughout a demo... save it for the tea break or afterwards, should it be business or when relevant if concerning the demo.

OK Done ..  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
What you seem to be referring to Stuart is tutoring rather than demoing and though I have done a little bit I wouldn't want to offer advicde other than you need to be insured and have all the appropriate safety gear in your workshop. Other who do a lot of tutoring such as George would be far better giving advice than me on that.

David, there is a difference from those who are "spell bound, mesmerized, undivided attention and absorbed in what is being done and said," and those who perhaps come alomng for the social aspect and just sit there. The ones who chat away and even go on their phones are a different subject. No comment oin those LOL

pete

P.S. Not sure that the adjective 'eminent' is really something that you can aply to me LOL
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:56:10 PM by bodrighywood »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »
Pete on one ocassion when there was a conversation going on during my demo (how rude some people are) I asked the chairman to get a grip of his members. It should not be our place to try and teach club members good manners.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »

then perhaps lack of response or interest. Others maybe thinking someone will ask the question or plead ignorance to not knowing something being shown.

Which is why I always take the part of chief heckler (well question asker). Having taught young soldiers, I know you need feedback from those in front of you, I do try to provide that.

Likewise when I stand up and do a demo, I'll do my damndest to get a response from the audience, get them going...
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »
Having you in my audience is always a welcome situation and also having taught military personnel at various times I can reveal that one of the recognised ways of ensuring attention is being payed is to ask the question " do you understand?" This is one of the hints and tricks passed on during the demonstrator training course (or the ones that I have run anyway)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »
Or if you want to shut the audience up ask 'Any questions' LOL. I used to teah students with learning difficulties and found that most the rules we were taught doing the Cert Ed didn't apply. best rule was to learn to teach on the fly. In other words plan your demo and be prepared to throw it out the window if ad lib, change tack. Some of the demos I have seen that were shall we say least intersting were by often excellent turners who were determined to do what they had planned irregardless of what happenned or the type of audience that they had. People like you Brian are a blesing.  I did one earlier this year and a well known member of this forum took the mick out of me throughout and it was great as it released tension and made the evening much more enjoyable.

Pete

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:14:37 AM »
Hello Peter, I'll probably be at the demo you're doing 12th August . . . . . . . . . I'm happy to take the mick out of you if thats what you want ! lol . . . . . . my taking the mick fee is £5
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
Rather that than you just sit there looking miserable Paul.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 09:35:14 PM »
One of the best methods of engaging the audience I've met was also the strangest.

The demonstrator introduced himself and without further adue started turning. Curiosity (and my shy retiring nature) got the better of me, 'What are you turning' I asked.

'Good question' came the reply, followed swiftly with a small burr lime blank. Someone else asked a question, he received a blank. The club group suddenly caught on, good questions got a free blank (well slice of Lime branch), no problem with questions after that, everyone was asking something...
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
A long time ago I watched a well known turner ( no name no pack drill  ;) ) struggling to get any sort of reaction from the watching crowd despite asking if there were any questions they wanted to ask. In desperation to get any sort of response he stopped the lathe, waited until he had the full attention of the group, asked them to hold hands, bow their heads and try and make contact with the living ;D. (He did make sure that there were no heavies in the crowd first!)   
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!