Author Topic: Coloured Hollow Form  (Read 949 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Coloured Hollow Form
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »
Pulling out some of the wood from the unknown woodpile I decided to turn this hollow for with the intention of giving it a total coloured look but on turning it I went for a transparent coloured look and found some very interesting grain in it.

4 1/2" X 4" coloured with intrinsic water-based stains and finished with acrylic gloss varnish The top is ebonised.

C and C welcome

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: Coloured Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »
Hi Derek
I very rarely post in the gallery but hey, you and I are on a very similar wavelength when it comes to forms, colours and proportions. I love this one especially the sweeping curves which are superb. I wonder if I may make a small suggestion? If it were mine I would now be making a second lid as an experiment to see if a well proportioned knob or finial might lift the whole piece even higher. I think it might.
All the best
Brian

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 07:53:50 PM »
I do like that, I would be tempted to turn the top down into the form rather than add a finial, it has a very definite heart shape which a dip in the top would make it very appropriate for the current times.

Having said that actually I wouldn't change a thing, it is a lovely form with perfect curves, and great colour.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
I like what the other commenters have said about an alternative top, both have merit, but my main comment is that you have done an amazing job on getting a beautiful form on the body of the piece and your decision to go for a transparent coloured finish, rather than an opaque finish, was inspired. Lovely piece of turning and finishing :)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
Thank you Brian and Pete

Brian I did think of a lid with a finial but decided against it, but thank you for your thoughts

Pete may try the heart style shape some time I tend to start a piece and go with the flow so to speak whether it is right or wrong it just is the enjoyment of the turning occasionally I will start with a form in my mind and try to stick to it

Thank you Mike
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:31:56 PM by Derek »