Author Topic: I've broke my lathe...  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Ximbad

• iron
I've broke my lathe...
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a returning woodturner after several years break from turning.
On day 2 of my newly ressurected hobby, i have cracked the tool stem holder on my banjo.

I am currently using Coronet Number 0

After visiting a woodturning supply shop in Somerset I bought some new items including a new Sorby tool rest with internal bowl bar.
The new one is slightly smaller diameter than the original (like .5 mm) so the hole, even tightened up as much as i can do it, is not enough to keep it in place.
So in my infinte wisdom i took off the banjo and placed it in my metelwork vice and attempted to squeeze up the gap slightly and.... crack!!!!

So, I've been thinking of some solutions to fix it.

1. weld the crack - the banjo is cast, so i dont think a weld is going to take very well.
2. drill 2 more holes beside the length of the crack so there are 3 bolts to tighten the tool rest stem. (a pain to make small adjustments all the time).
3. make one from scratch - I dont own a milling machine to accomodate the nut holding down the banjo to the clamp underneath.
4 buy a new one.

4 - if I buy a new one I have seen something on the internet for a record CL3 / CL4 , but I'm wondering if the lathe bed bars are the same diameter as mine.
Or does anyone on here have that lathe? so that we could compare sizes? if so buying the new one is a garauntee  that it will fit.
I cannot find anything online that will give the lathe bed bar diamters.

Offline Ximbad

• iron
Re: I've broke my lathe...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
see attached pic

Offline Ximbad

• iron
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:49:25 PM »
and this I'm hoping will fit

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 10:02:39 PM »
I have an old green cl3 which I could measure the bar diameter whether they are the same as the new one I do not know. This I will have to do tomorrow.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 01:29:01 AM »
Your first port of call should be to phone Record Power and see if they have the exact spare part, there is a good chance that they do, and if not they should be able to answer if the CL3/4 one will fit.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Is the difference in stem size between 1" which older kit might use and 25mm which newer stuff might use?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Ximbad

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »
The actual diamter of the lathe bed bars are 38.5 mm (1.5 inches) approx'

The distance between the 2 bars centre to centre is 4 inches or 103 mm approx'

the tool rest holder takes 19mm stem. If the new one is bigger, that shouldnt be a problem as Sorby sell all kinds of tool rest stem sizes
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:30:43 PM by Ximbad »

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:41:35 PM »
Hi Zimbad,

You've received some good info and advice but I agree with Twisted Trees in that I'd pick the phone up and call Record Power customer support first (or register with them online and raise a support query on your  issue).

Offline Ximbad

• iron
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 08:00:10 PM »
Thanks Sandy,

I have indeed ordered the aformentioned "banjo" it should arrive tomorrow.

I believe it accomodates a 1" stem so I've ordered this also which means I can use it with some recently bought tool rests.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »
As said above, there are 25mm stems and 1" (25.4mm) Sorby do both.

I started with a Coronet Major and also cracked my banjo, bit it was the bit that met the bedbars. I found someone who could weld Cast iron and then regrind the base for me.

However I agree that it might be be better if you bought a new one as trying to accurately re-drill an post hole after any repair might be tricky.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 10:07:33 AM »
see attached pic

Welding is an option but it might be more expensive than replacement. As cast iron has particular requirements when welding it and thus you have get it done by a competent welder.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »
My son-in-law made a toolrest from 1" steel bar, for a mutual friend. this works a treat and is unbreakable! he is awelder by trade. He laso mad a bowl rest from 1" tubing.
Ron