Author Topic: I know there are probably many reasons why I shouldn't BUT....  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
What are they?

Thought process, use Inline air extractor fan after a Cyclone collector, outside my workshop to exhaust under the decking.

I could add to the quietness by making the waterproof box it fits in acoustically insulated, thinking double wall and sand with acoustic foam for good measure.

The small <1 micron dust may be an issue, but under the deck is generally quite damp, this is the UK! so chances are it would settle and be part of the soil.

Winter heat loss could be a problem, but my workshop is so well insulated it tends to be colder in there than outside most days, without extra heating and if it is that cold I will probably be in doors using Sketch-up anyway!

So please if any of you have any reasons why I shouldn't do this please tell me now... before I go spend money on ducting and extractor
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: I know there are probably many reasons why I shouldn't BUT....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »
Commercial extraction usually has the collection point outside the workshop so can't see why it should be a problem.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
The unit I am looking at at 125mm shifts 96 liters/second which is about 10 less than the record power dust extractor I was looking at, removing the filter from the outlet should more than make up the difference.

But Pete you are supposed to be telling why it isn't a good idea!!  ;)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »
In my old workshop I had the exhaust of the extractor going directly outside. This created two problems:
a) within a few minutes the temperature in the workshop would drop to almost outside levels. Not a problem in summer, but very much one in winter.
b) Although this greatly reduced the noise in the workshop, it also greatly increased the noise outside. I tried a variety of different options, but it always was a problem.

In my new workshop I built a soundproof cabinet, and the extractor now blows back into the cabinet. Keeps the heat in, and keeps the noise in.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 05:05:36 PM »
Thanks Fuzzyturns,

Noise is certainly a concern, but the inline fan I am looking at is 20 decibels quieter than any proprietary extractor under £500, it's main use seems to be illegal hydroponics where the noise factor really matters! plus I can build a sound insulated cabinet around it outside the workshop as easily as building one inside.

I have also considered bringing the air back into the workshop via a filtered vent in the top of the cabinet, reasoning that if I turn the exhaust upwards the hot air would find it's way back into the cabinet, while in summer I could connect to a duct taking the air deep under the decking and away from the shop.

Clearly the answer is to extend the workshop 3 fold, as I have often mentioned to my wife, but she is still doing the hard stare each time! so I don't think I can do that!

An alternative thought process is to just buy the Record Power DX5000, or Heavy Duty Dust and Chip Extractor (38100) and try to build it inside the workshop as quietly as possible.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:03:41 PM »

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 11:41:29 PM »
do you have room for my old set up?

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/103052-dust-extractor/

Don't think I can fit the whole lot inside, workshop is 3m x 6m was specifically built for wood turning which is of course only part of what I do in there!

However if you are not looking for an immediate next week sale, I would appreciate a price and location to work into my sketch up drawings to see if I could accommodate it.

Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »
my shop was only 3.6x 6m...
i'll pm you if you are interested then.