Author Topic: A Cry for Help  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Me

• iron
A Cry for Help
« on: January 04, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »
Hi I live on a Narrowboat that I designed and built myself.  One of my quirks is that I like to have, as the handle on my Tiller, a naturally shaped piece of wood.  However in order for such hanles to fit the brass tube that constitutes the main length of the dis-mountable tiller extension, they need a length of about 120mm to be turned down to a diameter of 31mm.  This gives an interference fit.  In the past I have sawn, hacked and ground the excess 5mm or so of material from the circumference.  As you can imagine this is a very crude method.  As these handles are exposed to the elements year in year out they eventually fail. No matter how I treat them with preservatives

Is there a turner out there who would be prepared to remove the excess 5mm from a couple of replacement handles I am preparing.

I can be reached via me@kasamada.co.uk or on 07 855 345 420

Thank you,  Stephen

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: A Cry for Help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »
As a (former) fellow narrow-boat owner, who also designed and built my own fit-out, I'd be happy to take the work. You don't tell us where you are, or whether you want a turner close by to you, or if you're thinking of posting the pieces to a turner.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: A Cry for Help
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:24:54 PM »
Where are you based?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities