Author Topic: Chuck Excert  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Jim_Brown

• iron
Chuck Excert
« on: December 27, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
Hi
I am new to the forum after a forced gap of a few years from turning I have decided it is time to get back to it, I remember the joy and pride of taking a lump of firewood into something useful or decorative, I remember the looks on people’s faces when they see the start and finished product. Not that I am particularly good I would like to better myself and make bigger and better items, the lathe I have I don’t find there to be enough control over the speed particularly on starting with a lump of timber that is a bit out of balance. I have purchased an old Axminster 28/40 supalathe and I am fitting a digital VFD instead of the original 8 speed analog controller.

The problem I am finding is none of my 1”x8tpi face-lates and chucks fit as it comes with the same thread as a graduate lathe 1.1/2” x 6tpi because I have quite a few jaw sets for my Axminster Chuck I don’t really want to buy a new Chuck nor can I afford it I have looked around for anyone selling an old Axminster chuck secondhand with the correct thread but it seems like finding anything with this thread size is like hunting for rocking horse crap. I have also looked for thread adapters to no avail. Could anyone out there help me out and point me in the direction of someone that can supply or make an adapter for a reasonable price please ?

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Re: Chuck Excert
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
I bought my 1 1/2"x6 excerpt from the tool post. My graduate has the same thread. It does push the chuck a bit further away from the spindle but I have never found it a problem. Give them a look or failing that go to your local engineering co.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »
Jim,

A couple of ideas for you.

You don't say what make your current chuck is. If your lucky, and it's a versachuck from the Tool post, you should be able to buy a new backplate with the correct thread. They also do jaw carriers to suit both Axminster and Nova/Vickmark jawsets.

They may also be able to get you an excerpt machined to suit your needs, Not 100% sure about this but they always see to try and help out where they can. Have a look at their site, they do a comprehensive range of inserts and excerpts, there is a list of headstock threads and what is available on it.

Lastly here is a likk to Charnwood. They do the cheapest range of adaptors I know but a quick look does not seem to show what you want I'm afraid. 

https://www.charnwood.net/products/chuck-thread-adaptors
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Jim_Brown

• iron
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 08:38:15 PM »
My current Chuck is an Axminster 100 clubman which if I could afford a new Chuck I would opt for the evolution also Axminster that way I know all the jaws I have will fit, the last chuck I had from Axminster had a bolt on backplate which did actually go up to the graduate size but that one got stolen along with my old union jubilee whist I was away on holiday a few years back, even that would have been no good as Axminster no longer stock the spares for it.

I have tried toolpost, Rutland, turners retreat, peter childs and Charnwood were the only ones who could offer a solution all be it a pretty weird and not one I would think be any good as it involved buying 2 excerpts the graduate down to 33mm I think or 35mm metric and from the metric down to my Chuck size I don’t really fancy the chuck being mounted that far from the headstock

Offline onetruth

• iron
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 02:30:28 AM »
I don't suppose the Sorby Patriot excerts would fit your current chuck?  I suspect not, but if so send me a message!

Offline JohnHewes

• copper
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 11:47:16 PM »
I had a similar problem, so removed the mandrel from the headstock and put the correct thread on with my little Boxford metal lathe.
Actually I had to machine a parallel end and make a bush to fit, weld it on place and then re-machine the nose, but I was going up in size, should be easier going the other way.
Are you near NN 14?
 I could look at it for you.
Otherwise a local engineering company could do it.
They would cost, I wouldn’t.
John
Pm me if interested.

Offline Redtails5

• copper
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »
Hi
Have you tried axminster ? I know that they do the inboard/
Out board chucks for the graduate lathe the thread being a
Left hand and a right hand thread in the same body.
Its just a thought that they may do a excert but with both threads in seperate excert bodies. Hope this.makes sense