Author Topic: Tool PostVersa Chuck  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Tool PostVersa Chuck
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »
Ok I have been waiting a good while for this with the VB36 back plate but has now arrived. I was unable to locate another Axminster Super precision so this seemed a very similar products. All looks good, not the same standard of manufacture but very good for the price and all my jaws will fit to boot.

So has anyone been using one of these for a while and what are your thoughts.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
Re: Tool PostVersa Chuck
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »
I'm surprised no one else has commented yet, I thought the Versachuck to be quite widely used.

I've had one for three years now. It was a good first four jaw chuck. No problems with it in long term use.
It's mildly annoying having to clean any light surface rust off the body after any condensation in winter, I prefer the stainless steel construction of my Axminster SK114.
Another mild annoyance was the difficult to read, numbering of the jaw carriers, quickly solved by grinding a set of dots in the end of each carrier.

For anyone on a tight budget I think they're a decent buy. However I'd avoid the Versachuck jaws, they seem poorly made and finished with poor quality control. Axminster's own jaws fit perfectly, are better engineered and even cheaper. Toolpost also seem to have a mixed reputation for after sales service if there are any problems. One my sets of Versachuck jaws didn't fit and getting that resolved wasn't an example of perfect customer care.

Offline roywathen

• iron
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
I have used a versa chuck for a few years and have not experienced any problems all my jaws however are axminster, anyone considering a purchase also needs to factor in the cost of the jaw carriers to be able to use axi jaws.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 12:36:34 PM »
anyone considering a purchase also needs to factor in the cost of the jaw carriers to be able to use axi jaws.
Any purchase will need jaw carriers and a suitable backplate, plus Toolpost's tired old web site doesn't include VAT either, nor is postage free.

This does highlight one unique feature of the Versachuck though. It's possible to use jaw carriers for different jaw systems, so you can use whatever jaws you want from different manufacturers.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
I have two of these chucks, with about a dozen different jaw sets, all on their own carriers (which makes a jaw change a complete doddle). No complaints after 4 years of usage. Yes, it is not of the same quality as the Axminster chucks, but still good. Peter from Toolpost will openly admit that he's had problems with his suppliers, and I have always found him useful and supportive.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
a dozen different jaw sets???

blimey, do you really use all those?

personally i have no idea of the qualities of other chucks as i have only ever had a second hand sorby patriot (sold it with my second lathe) and the old axminster clubman 100 and a few goliath chucks. they still do the job for me.

lots of people seem to say varying things about chuck quality so it must vary from batch to batch?

i just wish they made a chuck the size of the goliath again as i find it very useful.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »
The Axminster super precision will take some beating but after waiting and looking for a couple of years they are few and far between on the second hand market. So after a long wait the Versa was eventually delivered with the VB36 back plate. I just got one set of jaw carriers as I will leave it set with the Axminster large gripper jaws, my super precision will have the O'Donnell jaw set as I use these the most, anything else can be swopped over if needed as all on the Axminster jaw carriers.
Just makes life easier.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline JohnHewes

• copper
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 10:36:50 PM »
I would echo APH’s comments about Toolpost aftersale service. When I had a problem with a new Versachuck I was told it was my fault!
I assumed that with a new body to fit on a different lathe, all the jaws would be interchangeable, silly me.
I sorted it out myself but left a bad taste.

I do like the versatility and with the two bodies, I can use all the jaws on either lathe, very handy.

I have other chucks, but only use them occasionally.

I was given a different chuck a while ago which allows the drive centre to fit through the chuck when it is fitted, so I can roughy out a spindle blank between centres and put a spigot on one end, then quickly knock out the centre and use the chuck on the spigot. It saves a lot of time.
John