Author Topic: Face plate for finishing the back of bowls  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Redtails4

• copper
Face plate for finishing the back of bowls
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:04:54 PM »
Hi
 I want to finish the backs of some biggish bowls which are out side the maximium size of a set of Cole jaws.
The question is do you use plywood or mdf of a suitable thickness with anti slipmatting attached to your face plate .
How  do you attach this face plate to the lathe by using (a) ring and holding this in the jaws
(2)by using a steel face plate of say 100mm diameter  .
I was thinking of say a plywood/ mdf plate of say 18inch diameter x 3/4 thickness.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Face plate for finishing the back of bowls
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »
I have 3 systems.
Using my 4" Patriot jaws I have a 9" disk, out of 2" material. I often just press the bowl against the disk, using the revolving tail centre to hold it in place. If it's a delicate bowl or if there's tricky grain, I sometimes cut a groove in the wooden disk just to set the rim of the bowl into.
I also have a 22" diameter 3/4" plywood disk which has a 6" faceplate permanently set on the back of it, although a faceplate ring which fits your chuck would also suffice. With this system I almost invariably use  piece of router matting between the bowl and the disk.

Each of these systems work between centres.

For larger stuff, too big to fit over the bed ways, I swing the headstock around and fit a 36" diameter disk. this disk has concentric circles marked on it, about 1cm apart and also has a set of 8 lines, each marked along a radius and set at 45degrees to each other. Each radius has a series of holes drilled along it, into which I set wooden buttons, held on with set-screws ans nuts/washers. Each button is a mushroom shape, its head being somewhat larger diam than its base. The hole through each button has been drilled off-centre, effectively making each button a cam. I set the bowl/platter against the disk, bolt the buttons into place and give them the odd twist to jiggle the platter about until it is centred up properly....it works for  me!

I used to persevere with all manner of cole jaws/reversing jaws and expanding/spiral disks....but dumped them all in the storeroom in favour of the above, which is a lot quicker to use.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:20:15 PM »
Redtails, one of the first things I do when turning a bowl is to ensure that I have marked the centre of the spigot (with the tail stock). Then if the bowl is too big for cole jaws (although I have made cole jaws up to 3 feet in diameter that worked perfectly well) I then fix another bowl blank onto the lathe and turn it to the inside diameter of the bowl I wish to finish,sandwich a piece of non-slip mat in between that and your bowl , bring up the tail stock and engage it in the centre hole. Turn the lathe speed down and start up, you will then be able to work on the bottom and turn the last bit to a cone which will be very easy to remove with a chisel and then hand sand to finish.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
Hi
Thank you both Les and John ,both have given answer  that will cover most of the applications that I possible will need tank you again.