Author Topic: Possibly Cherry Bowl  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
Possibly Cherry Bowl
« on: July 24, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
My woodturning tutor has been clearing out his wood store at home and found a load of... possibly cherry wood? No one was quite sure. It looks like cherry, but it smelt weird when turned - sort of like Plasticine with a hint of aniseed. Very, very odd.

But it turned like a dream and resulted in this little bowl, of which I'm inordinately proud. This is the culmination of 18 hours (ish) of turning over the space of 9 weeks. I'm now looking to set up a little workshop at home!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Possibly Cherry Bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
Hello Misa....and welcome to the world of woodturning. It's great that you've had tuition and well done with the bowl. However, we can be sure of one thing, that is definitely not cherry. The annual rings are too broad, there's insufficient variation between sapwood and heartwood, the colour is far too pale and the bark is the wrong type completely. My guess is that you've got a softwood, and possibly hemlock, although it's far from easy to say without close inspection. Hemlock would certainly give you the smell that you mentioned. I've attached a picture of a cherry-wood bowl for you to see the difference.

Your first bowl is always a major milestone in your new hobby. Keep it and treasure it, and examine it closely for any aspects that you feel that you can improve on in the future. Identify and work on each aspect, one at a time.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 09:04:47 PM »
Good comments from Les ! Possibly a type of cypress, very similar to some I turned last year.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »
And the woodturning bug bites another unsuspecting person.

A good start, keep it and look back on it in a few years and see how you've developed as a turner.

Good to have you on-board Misa, It'll be a bumpy but enjoyable ride. And the effort is well worth it.

Looking forward to your next post.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  :-*