Author Topic: Oak and Copper pot  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Oak and Copper pot
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:15:22 PM »
Made from a piece out of a structural beam in an old bakery, with more cracks in it than there were in Humpty Dumpty's shell. Turning the outside had its challenges, but hollowing the inside really tested me. I don't think I've ever used so much gaffer tape on a bowl!
Dimensions are 10.5" tall x 8" diameter.

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Oak and Copper pot
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »
As i stated elsewhere.

I don't think that I have ever found something I did not like about your work Les but this time I just feel that the foot does not look right. I personally think that it would have looked better without it in this case.
Other than that I love everything else about it.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:52:43 PM »
Thanks Derek, for being frank about it.
The foot posed a major problem for me. It was originally the chucking tenon and was to have been cut away. However, the inside base of the pot has two, conjoined piths with some decay between them. had I cut the tenon away completely, the pot would have fallen into two pieces. My only choice was to use it as a foot, so I reduced it as much as I could and put copper binding around it.
Here's a pic from a lower angle...
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 10:52:02 PM »
Understood through necessity rather than design but added the copper to match the top.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 10:00:36 AM »
Les, beautiful as ever. The copper stands out against the oak and gives it an additional shine.

Question.
Is the Copper wire coated by lacquer (during it's manufacture) to prevent it tarnishing or will it acquire a degree of verdigris as it ages, which I think will give it an additional interest point.

Oh and well done on being chosen by the World of Woodwork as their Cover Photo for their web site.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »
I have just seen the cover selection on WOW well done Les

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
Hello Les,
Nice one. I like the shape as you have left the sides long to show off the character of the piece and then swept in quite sharply to the small base. Just a personal thing, I would have used brass instead of copper if the metalic look is to be retained. Alternatively I would patinate the copper to a dark green verdigris.
Design is often compromised by the nature of the piece of material in front of us......and long may it continue to be so  :)
I can see a kindred spirit in your enjoyment of less than usual pieces of material and the challenges they present.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »
Les, This is inspirational.
How did you resist setting it on fire!
I too think that a bit of ageing/patination on the copper would add something but who am I to argue with an artist's concept and product.
Thanks for the stimulation that I need to tackle a 500 yr old ex-barn oak beam
Very best wishes
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »
I like this Les, bit i am not sure about the foot. I understand the necessity of what you have done and the copper band there helps to blend it to the upper part. Very well turned as usual. Malcolm.