Author Topic: Ash canker end-grain bowl.  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Ash canker end-grain bowl.
« on: July 09, 2018, 03:09:36 PM »
Made from a canker that I took out of an ash branch from storm damaged timber. The branch was about 25cm diameter, resulting in a bowl 20cm diam x 13.5 cm high. The branch about 2 years ago and this has been in store with heavily waxed ends, since then. it was surprisingly dry to work, although it's fair to say that the cankers are usually drier than the rest of the wood.

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Ash canker end-grain bowl.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
I'd call that a serendipity bowl. Getting that sort of figuring in a bowl has to be good fortune. Looks almost as if it were deliberate. Lovely piece in lovelty wood.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:08:38 PM »
Les,

Trunk or Branch-wood?

Great shape, absolutely perfectly form, and the effect from the Cancker is amazing. You lucked in with this one.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:36:22 PM »
Les,

Trunk or Branch-wood?

Great shape, absolutely perfectly form, and the effect from the Cancker is amazing. You lucked in with this one.
...thank you Bryan....definitely branch, the trunks (there were several) were around 65cm diameter.

The next piece along has your name on it; I'll get the cut-end re-waxed and put it on my courier for you.
Les

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:11:04 AM »
That's a lovely bowl from a lovely looking piece of wood Les

But then we would expect nothing less  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:33:40 PM »
I like that Les plenty of character in the wood. Never fails to amaze me what you can find when you start to turn a lump of wood

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
Ah, but cankers are always evident on the outside. The tell-tale signs of canker are easy to spot, although you never really know just how good it's going to be until you open it up.
Les

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
Not really a gallery item but it relates to Les's beautiful turning. I would be interested to hear forum wisdom as to the reasons for the cankers in ash. There is a thorough explanation on plantwise.com about insect attack leading to viral and bacterial infections but I have also heard stories about trees which seed themselves in less favourable growing conditions. Any thoughts ?
These pieces sell well at craft shows but I always call them bark inclusions rather than cankers when asked !!
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »
My understanding of this form of canker (there are other types) is that it is bacterial, called Pseudomonas syringae spp. The bacteria infect lesions in the bark caused by insect attack, then feed on the timber spreading inward to the pith. As they spread inward, developing their own cell growth, they grow a cork-like material (it isn't bark, at all) which is substantially weaker than the host timber. If the lesions exist in any number, particularly if they encircle a branch, then that branch will inevitably be so weakened that it will fall. Lesser infestation can result in a cankerous growth lasting for decades within a branch.

Les

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »
Amazing how something we consider a pest can yield such gorgeous results!  :o