Author Topic: Sussex Elm  (Read 2592 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Sussex Elm
« on: June 25, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »
Hello All,
Attached are a couple of images of a large turning (610mm high by 510mm diameter) from a very punky and spalted piece of Sussex Elm. The other image is of a bowl I was able to core out of the centre of the larger one. The actual whorl itself has greater structural integrity than the parent timber. It has been stabilised (hopefully) with 4 litres of 50/50 cellulose sealer/thinners then treated with OSMO Oil. In July I hope to be showing them at Chelsea School of Art where the Society of Designer Craftsmen is holding its annual exhibition, The Hand of the Maker.
Comments welcomed !
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Sussex Elm
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
Hi John

Looks like you made the most of some awkward timber and managed to keep it all together , Should do well at the show  :)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »
Like that John

Believe it or not I'm working on a large piece of Elm from Lewis at the moment.

All the best

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
Great job on those like elm when I can get it.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 11:43:09 PM »
I'm not completely sold on the bowl, but that Vase is to die for.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
I am afraid I am not sold on either of them. The size is impressive for sure, and I don't want to take anything away from the effort. I just feel that the end result is a little disappointing. Given the wood and its condition I am not sure there was much else you could have done, but I think sometimes it's best to just walk away.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:50:26 AM »
I am afraid I am not sold on either of them. The size is impressive for sure, and I don't want to take anything away from the effort. I just feel that the end result is a little disappointing. Given the wood and its condition I am not sure there was much else you could have done, but I think sometimes it's best to just walk away.
Fair point, it was nip and tuck whether or not to bother. It was one of those rare occasions where I paid money for the wood and wanted to realise a return. I should have guessed that it would be a problem when the chain saw went through it far too easily. All a part of learning by one's mistakes !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »
Like Bryan I prefer the vase to the bowl, much better shape for me. Unlike Fuzzy I love this sort of work and find it sells well. Difference between what impresses other turhers and what impresses the non turners perhaps. As one person put it at a show the other week...."makes a nice change to see that turners don't just make pens and coloured bowls".

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
Like Bryan I prefer the vase to the bowl, much better shape for me. Unlike Fuzzy I love this sort of work and find it sells well. Difference between what impresses other turhers and what impresses the non turners perhaps. As one person put it at a show the other week...."makes a nice change to see that turners don't just make pens and coloured bowls".

Pete
The basic shape of the bowl was dictated to me by the shape I was able to take out of the main piece as a core. I elected to take a straight cut from the outer diameter to a point about 400mm down inside the blank. I did not want to use a curved cutter as the fissures in the whorl were too deep meaning that it would not have any structural integrity. I did try a curved cutter inside the bowl form but that sprayed itself around the workshop ! The natural edge obviously came from the form of the whorl.
My own experiences of doing over 100 shows over the last eleven years reflect Pete's final comment and that ties in nicely for me as that is the stuff I enjoy turning.
ATB John

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »
couple of nice pieces John, I too prefer the vase fella
cheers
Andy
regards
Andy