Author Topic: Vacuum chucks, are they worth it?  (Read 6714 times)

Offline Markymark

• iron
Re: Vacuum chucks, are they worth it?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »
I have the holdfast system. I find it reasonably straightforward to set up and remove from the lathe. I tend to only use it for batches of work, usually removing the feet fro bowls or truing the edges of chopping boards/ coasters.

I have an 8cfm compressor.

It’s a bit of a luxury as I could do the tasks I undertake by other means!

I also like turning burrs and it won’t grip them at all due to all the holes.

M

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »

I also like turning burrs and it won’t grip them at all due to all the holes.

M
There is always a downside to everything.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »
Can I ask for input from anyone using a vacuum chuck, are they worth the expense, what size vacuum pump (4cfm looks about right) and are they one of those things that just sits on the shelf!!

All comments appreciated.

I am getting into spheres in a big way and think a vacuum chuck would make the finishing and final turning much easier, or am I being lazy.......

If your doing spheres then this chuck will make life much easier. But be aware of the differing porosity of various species otherwise it could be fairly dramatic.
Not knowing what sort of diameters you're playing with, but you want at least 75%  or better ideally up around 85-90% if your playing large diameters and of porous blanks. Even then you may  have to seal the wood.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 07:53:06 AM »
Well now have the vacuum pump I settled on a 4cfm and a vacuum chamber ( for the resin casting) I have started playing around with making some chucks at the weekend, just awaiting some hardware to assemble the through headstock vacuum tube, and to work out what gauges and valves I will need to control and measure the vacuum produced within the chucks. I decided on three sizes of chuck, 2, 3 and 4" as they should cover most of my initial requirements. if they work ok they are easy enough to make additional sizes.

Many thanks for the advice,
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads